UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2016, 10:48 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiomuseum.org Can somebody talk me through how it works, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
this was shortly followed by an email telling me I'd broken the rules and my membership was cancelled. I did admit to unwittingly breaking the rules there was no malicious intent but I was banned for life which I thought was a little harsh.
Yes, it does sound excessively harsh. Particularly as when I went looking for the rules that you broke, I couldn't find them. Admittedly its a very big site. Even so, I would expect that if expulsion is the penalty, that such a rule would be spelt out in very large letters somewhere entirely obvious.
Speaking strictly on a personal title, I do agree that cancellation is too harsh a punishment for sharing a single schematic. A warning would be far more appropriate in such a case. While I'm convinced the rule about not republishing schematics is both logical given the UACS system and published "somewhere in the application process", I could not find it within a few minutes of searching so that is where the warning would have come in handy.
Old 15th May 2016, 10:49 pm   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I've uploaded a number of model photos, a couple of hand-drawn reverse-engineered schematics, and a handful of valuations from auctions that I've attended. Doing this gives you a lot of 'points' that provide you with as many downloads as you're ever likely to need.

Since I joined RM a few years ago, it seems to have become even more comprehensive. The rules appear a bit arcane to begin with, but a little practice is amply rewarded.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th May 2016, 4:01 pm   #23
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
"Super-Heterodyne (Super in general) [SH]" applies to any superhet variation. If your superhet for example has an RF stage, it would be more appropriate to select "Superhet with RF-stage [SURF]". Same goes for double or triple conversion superhets and some more obscure working principles. If you aren't sure which principle applies best or if it's a plain superhet, choose Super in General.
Thanks for this explanation of 'super in general' Maarten. It does look as though we have a language translation problem here. From what you say, I now understand that what is meant by Radiomuseum is a 'general superhet' - in other words, an ordinary general-purpose design with no RF stage, only one IF etc.

My puzzlement arose because in English, the phrase 'super in general' implies a very highly specified product such as a top-of-the-range Dynatron, RGD or indeed an AR88.

Unless I'm the only user with this misunderstanding, it would be good if the administrators were to correct the language.

Martin
Old 16th May 2016, 4:43 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, I agree, this is a very literal translation and is confusing. It is very revealing when somebody has nicked an RM description and put it on eBay or Gumtree etc. though.
Old 18th May 2016, 12:45 am   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

That's the good thing about it

As a non-native English speaker I hadn't noticed the possible source of confusion. For someone who speaks Dutch the translation makes sense. Probably the same for a German speaker.
Old 18th May 2016, 2:15 pm   #26
AC/HL
Dekatron

I'm not a member, but most of us on here will see this phrase regularly. Slightly odd to those of us with only a single language, but you only really notice it once.
Old 18th May 2016, 6:19 pm   #27
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Typically, it's the English language, with its frequent use of the same word to mean two or more different things, that causes the confusion. "Super" can mean 'over or above' (as in the term 'supersonic heterodyne') or 'jolly good'. I vaguely recall from my schoolboy days that "super" is itself derived from the Latin adjective "superbus".

So whilst a superhet always involves a supersonic heterodyne, it doesn't necessarily have super performance.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 31st May 2016, 6:33 pm   #28
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've not had any technical problems until recently, when I've simply not been able to add a hitherto unknown model with pics and schematics. First it says 'model does not exist' then when you create it, it says 'model exists!'. Then when I upload pictures it says 'create new model first' then says 'pictures accepted'. Then I get an email saying my model has been rejected because it already exists...and when I check to see, it says it does not exist! I've pulled out what's left of my hair...which is already very little.
Old 31st May 2016, 7:00 pm   #29
Cobaltblue

I have successfully added one model and the second is in the process in the last week or so without these difficulties.

It's always worth checking what's going on in the pending model page which can be reached from your home page, Other Links, Pending Model numbers or of course Pending Manufacturers Brands as appropriate.

You can then see what the status is and add pictures or circuits quite easily.

You can also see the process of approval/rejection.

You need to be logged in.

If I have any complaint and it is a small one is that only 2 devices can be registered at any one time but I use 5 different devices daily

Cheers

Mike T
Old 31st May 2016, 8:39 pm   #30
McMurdo
Dekatron

I don't understand. If I go to 'home', where next? There's no 'other links'
Old 31st May 2016, 9:38 pm   #31
Cobaltblue

Apologies that should have read.

Home, My Profile

See the pics hope it helps

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiomuseum.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	125361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radmus.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	125362  
Old 1st Jun 2016, 7:33 pm   #32
McMurdo
Dekatron

ok got it!
Old 4th Jun 2016, 9:38 pm   #33
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I've not had any technical problems until recently, when I've simply not been able to add a hitherto unknown model with pics and schematics. First it says 'model does not exist' then when you create it, it says 'model exists!'. Then when I upload pictures it says 'create new model first' then says 'pictures accepted'. Then I get an email saying my model has been rejected because it already exists...and when I check to see, it says it does not exist! I've pulled out what's left of my hair...which is already very little.
Could you tell me the make and model, please?
Closed Thread