UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2016, 7:31 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Step down transformer and Vintage American Clock Radio?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of adding a few more pieces to my vintage room and I really like the style of the General Electric Alarm Clock Radios from the 1950s.

My dilemma is if I get a step down transformer is it going to work properly? I have a feeling the timing for the clock will be done by the electrical frequency. Which in the United Kingdom is 50hz but in the USA is 60HZ, so I'm thinking there maybe a few issues. It's also a valve set, would there be any problems about this being run off a Stepdown transformer?

For anyone curious here's a picture of the item.

Kind regards,

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	122942  
Old 17th Apr 2016, 7:47 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Step down transformer and Vintage American Clock Radio?

I am pretty sure the clock will use a synchronous motor and thus it is dependant on mains frequency. It will run slow on 50Hz.

The radio side is probably an 'All American 5' type design with a series heater chain and live chassis. It will work on 50Hz. There might be a bit more hum but nothing more.

There is at least one company that sells a inverter type thing to run 60Hz clocks in the UK or 50Hz clocks in the USA. I doubt it would have the power to run the radio though. You might be able to rewire the clock radio, bringing the clock motor connections out separately, so that you can run the clock off the inverter and the radio off a normal step-down transformer.
Old 18th Apr 2016, 8:48 pm   #3
robin0577
Pentode

There's a chap called Mark Lines in Milton Keynes who's helped me with an american clock frequency converter in the past, this is his website... http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/index.html
Old 18th Apr 2016, 9:23 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Nice little project - a 60Hz low-power inverter.
The various outboard PSUs for turntables would provide some design tips.
Old 19th Apr 2016, 12:39 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

For best accuracy, start by multiplying 50Hz by 6, then divide by 5. Maintains the lock to mains frequency which on average is very accurate.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 7:54 pm   #6
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

600Hz VCO divide by 12 for 50Hz lock, for 10 for 60Hz (maybe 9,600 Hz and an extra divide by 16 is better)
Or 12V DC design and a crystal (but a 32768 Watch crystal isn't much use!)
Closed Thread