UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2023, 8:04 am   #41
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Pathescope Son projector amplifier

I hope this is not off he subject but in the days before tape recording, Radio Luxembourg
recorded their London programmes in on film. the BBC wondered at the quality as they were still recording on disc.
Old 28th Jun 2023, 9:46 am   #42
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi everyone,

A little update on the Son amplifier. The BPW34 cell arrived yesterday and I worked late into the night testing it and mounting it inside the spare cell housing that I have. The results from the cell are a little better than that of the original PEC but the gain still seems low. It was getting very late by this point so I haven't actually film tested it yet but I will do so today and compare the results. I'm also going to try the same cell on one of my 16mm projectors and see how it compares in gain on that amplifier in comparison to the Son.

I still need to look for a 6SH7 and try one out in the first stage but from there forward I suppose I will have to begin looking at what can be done to the amplifier to increase it's sensitivity. I know there's many folk who just replace older valve amplifiers on cine projectors but I'd rather keep this projector as original as possible without having to hack it up in any way.
Old 28th Jun 2023, 12:39 pm   #43
wd40addict
Octode

It should be possible to get the volume up. The speaker should be a nice efficient 4R Rola so I do wonder about the substitution someone has made. Assuming a perfect match (unlikely) a 4R speaker should give you 4 times the power compared to the 16R unit.

I keep meaning to get my Son on the bench to give you some benchmarks, but unfortunately other stuff keeps intervening. I may be able to do it in a week or so.
Old 29th Jun 2023, 10:27 am   #44
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Yes I've been on the look out for a suitable 4r replacement but I've had nothing turn up as of yet. If you could get your Son on the bench for a comparison then that would be great, there's no rush though as this is one of those projects where I'm quite happy to put to one side for any amount of time
Old 5th Jul 2023, 6:04 pm   #45
wd40addict
Octode

OK, here we go: back in the day 'undistorted' meant 10% THD+N (yeah I know!). Using this as a yardstick the amplifier gives 3.5W into 4R from 850mv RMS @ 1kHz fed into the gram socket. Power falls to 3W into 8R and 2W into 16R. Distortion into 8 & 16 shoots up due to the poor match and no feedback.
Old 5th Jul 2023, 6:51 pm   #46
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A 10” 3R speaker of the period, on a big baffle, would have filled a small hall driven by 3.5 W, I would have thought.
Old 5th Jul 2023, 7:26 pm   #47
wd40addict
Octode

Sorry, should've gone to Specsavers it was 270mv RMS in, not 850.

Yes Nick, it's pretty loud!
Old 13th Jul 2023, 8:28 am   #48
wd40addict
Octode

@EF80 how do these figures compare to yours?
Old 14th Jul 2023, 1:49 pm   #49
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for the figures Wd40addict, my apologies as I hadn't seen your reply to the thread. I'll get a look in this weekend and let you know the results.
Closed Thread