UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2020, 8:04 pm   #1
Arthur2075
Pentode

Default Sony EV-S550E 8mm video recorder

Just been given the above machine by my uncle. Unfortunately it’s dead, absolutely nothing! As my expertise is acoustic gramophones I am limited in my investigation into the problem. All I have done is to change the figure of 8 mains cable!

This machine is in perfect cosmetic condition but has not been used for probably 10 years or more.

Any ideas where to start?

Roger
Old 27th Sep 2020, 8:52 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony EV-S550E 8mm video recorder

Well the Good News is that this is a substantial machine and not a camcorder full of time expired surface mount electrolytic capacitors.

The fault is most likely to be in the PSU, check the fuse and inspect the electrolytics for any that have bulging tops.

Sometimes the small electrolytic of 10uf or less near the mains side of the PSU that "boots" the thing into action dries up and needs replacing. Quite often a blast from a hair-dryer or touching the top suspect capacitor with a hot iron will make the PSU work.

<Edit>

I've found this youtube video, I haven't watched it through, but he's got the PSU out and is checking the caps with an ESR meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawQNTCQ09Y
Old 28th Sep 2020, 7:17 am   #3
Arthur2075
Pentode

Default Re: Sony EV-S550E 8mm video recorder

Thanks Graham, that’s really helpful.
Roger
Closed Thread