UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 10:00 pm   #1
n_highfield
Pentode

Default Philips 2524

What does the panel make of this - it's a Philips 2524 (I think, the DC mains one anyway) and speaker built in to a miniature bureau type desk.

Do you imagine it would have been a cabinet offered by a commercial outfit or an enterprising amateur adaptation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010089.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	199534   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010091.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	199535   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010092.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	199536  

BVWS member
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:13 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 2524

Seems like a reasonable way to hide a set which would hardly enhance the aesthetics of a typical living room of the period. Other manufacturers offered sets in a similar bureau format and the shape of the Philips set does bring it to mind.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:24 am   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Most bureau's have pull out supports that sit either side of the top drawer. It also looks of the correct period so I would guess this was a purpose designed cabinet.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 4:10 pm   #4
n_highfield
Pentode

It's certainly kept the set in excellent cosmetic condition - thought the camera flash seems to have shown up some 'misting' on the rexine cover which I hadn't noticed in normal lighting conditions.

I think it was pretty lucky not to be chucked away and the 'desk' used for something else when DC mains disappeared.

BTW, I note you are in Seaford PJL - this set came from a big antiques / junk warehouse in Newhaven many years ago!

BVWS member
Old 24th Feb 2020, 11:57 am   #5
PJL
Dekatron

I have a 2514 (253V), there is a thread somewhere about it. Had a nasty knock so externally it is far from pristine but internally it is pretty good and working with original valves. It has a touch of Philipsesque as there are only 2 aerial coil taps but 3 for the anode coil all linked with a 4 way waveband switch. Probably before our time in Seaford so the junk warehouse is probably long gone.
Closed Thread