UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 12th Feb 2024, 10:37 am   #21
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Re: EMI TR52/2D Tape Recorder

Sounds like you have quite the collection of spares for these machines! Considering the deck was used throughout a few models it assures me somewhat that spares will turn up from time to time. Just out of interest, does the coupling have a part number present? If so it would be good to know, that way I can keep an eye out for one. I can imagine that some may turn up for sale packaged on a rare occasion and whoever may be selling probably won't know what they are for.

I would be very much interested in a TR51 cover, even if it is battered somewhat! One in poor condition will certainly be better than none at all and I could probably improve it. This machine is by no means mint either so I'm sure it wouldn't look out of place.
EF80TVVALVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:02 am   #22
barrymagrec
Octode

I will send it to you as is if you PM me your address.

I don`t have a part number for the coupling, it has been sculling in the box of parts in various lofts since the fifties. I also don`t have a full manual for any of these machines but someone may have and the number would be there.

I was just looking at the BTR2 manual and the capstan coupling is very similar in principle but lacks the pulley, obviously.
barrymagrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:47 am   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I have an original Instruction manual for the TR 52, the cover pages are rather grubby but overall the manual is in pretty good condition for its age. It is an extensive manual and is like a combined User and Service manual.

The manual is written in regard to the standard TR 52/2C and says variations to cover the other versions (TR52/1C, TR52/1D and TR52/2D) are noted as they occur.

The part number for the flexible motor coupling assembly is listed as 631357C.

If you (the OP) would like the manual (FOC) then please PM me your address.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:20 pm   #24
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi Barry and David, thank you both for your generous offers, I'd be very happy to have both the tape head cover and manual. Once the player is finished I hope to have it all wired in to the rest of my hifi set up that I have here so they'll both be a great addition in the tape recorders 'completeness'. I'll send you both a PM
Old 13th Feb 2024, 11:50 pm   #25
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Can the coupling be separated from the metal parts it looks to be stuck to? It ought to be possible to cast a new one in a suitable hardness of rubber.

If you revisit your glued repair, I wonder if you considered heatshrink as a means of maintaining concentricity, since it shrinks evenly towards the centre and might help stabilise a layered construction.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2024, 10:41 pm   #26
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Yes the coupling can be separated but this has to be done internally, there are two metal plates and four screws to each that sandwich the rubber discs between themselves and the outer metal parts. In the factory this would have been done beforehand and the two pieces of rubber then bonded by machine, it's taken quite a bit of concentration to ensure that everything has gone back together 'true' but it seems like it is a success.

I will keep in mind your thoughts on heatshrink, I did consider it - in fact, I considered several different approaches but I had read of an article online in which the writer, a fellow collector, had made up a new one using a bicycle inner tube. This eventually lead me to what I ended up doing which I thought would both restore strength but make it easy to line everything back up correctly by still keeping the original discs.