UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10th Feb 2024, 9:16 pm   #61
Just-in
Tetrode
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 52
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
At the risk of being a little irritating, punctuation goes a long way to making your posts less ambiguous.
How did you manage to evade a shocking experience with your turntable in the end? Did it relate to the request for colour codes?
Yeah sorry I have never been good at or looked into punctuation so my knowledge on it is non existent. And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Just-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2024, 9:21 pm   #62
PaulR
Dekatron
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Southport Lancashire, UK.
Posts: 3,195
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

As a matter of interest could you post some photos showing the amplifier end and connections of the mains lead you replaced, and the components you replaced?

It would be a good idea not to use it again until we have seen the photos
__________________
Paul
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 4:51 pm   #63
Richardgr
Heptode
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Täby, Sweden
Posts: 658
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
... And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Sounds like a good result.

From the pictures you posted, it is a good looking retro player. Have you considered trying to add a bluetooth receiver? The speakers are usually surprisingly good in these old players.

Although I am sure you are careful when the device is plugged in and switched on, valve based amplifiers can still bite after they are disconnected from the mains due to stored charge in the PSU electrolytic capacitors. So one arm behind your back is what we try and do when taking readings!
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:19 pm   #64
Boulevardier
Octode
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bristol, UK.
Posts: 1,626
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
So one arm behind your back is what we try and do when taking readings!

Indeed. One engineer I knew, who had a heart-condition, always worked with one hand in his pocket when working with powered-on mains radios or TVs!
Mike
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:53 pm   #65
Edward Huggins
Dekatron
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Posts: 8,256
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
Yeah sorry I have never been good at or looked into punctuation so my knowledge on it is non existent. And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Assume you used a new color-coded 3 core cable to replace the red, green and black cable.
__________________
Edward.
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 7:36 pm   #66
John10b
Nonode
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Aberaeron, Ceredigion, Wales, UK.
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Hi just-in, I am obviously pleased that you have got the unit playing, well done.
However I still don’t understand what exactly was wrong, just replacing the mains lead, assuming it was the original, would not solve the problem you originally experienced, in my opinion. Could you explain further what you found wrong with the old mains lead you replaced. Many thanks.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:02 pm   #67
PaulR
Dekatron
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Southport Lancashire, UK.
Posts: 3,195
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Hi just-in, I am obviously pleased that you have got the unit playing, well done.
However I still don’t understand what exactly was wrong, just replacing the mains lead, assuming it was the original, would not solve the problem you originally experienced, in my opinion. Could you explain further what you found wrong with the old mains lead you replaced. Many thanks.
John
I do think that a further explanation of what was done is needed, and exactly what and why colour coded components were replaced. The most obvious components are resistors but why replace them? It seems unlikely that they were tested and found to be out of spec in view of the earlier comments asking what they are. Were any capacitors replaced? That is why I asked for photos of the work done and why I hesitate to get further involved without a lot more feedback from the O/P.
__________________
Paul
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:42 pm   #68
Just-in
Tetrode
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 52
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Hello again I see a few people have asked about what I have done all I've done is replace what needed replaced. It has now been pat tested and checked over by a electrician I managed to get a hold of. It works fine now and will be stored for the foreseeable future thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this will probably be the last time I will reply here.
Just-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:19 pm   #69
rmorti
Pentode
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, UK.
Posts: 103
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
Hello again I see a few people have asked about what I have done all I've done is replace what needed replaced. It has now been pat tested and checked over by a electrician I managed to get a hold of. It works fine now and will be stored for the foreseeable future thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this will probably be the last time I will reply here.
But...what needed "replacing", and why? Which components?
rmorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 8:30 pm   #70
Boulevardier
Octode
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bristol, UK.
Posts: 1,626
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

"..this will probably be the last time I will reply here."

I think the OP has bowed out of the thread...
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 9:03 pm   #71
Sideband
Dekatron
 
Sideband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Croydon, Surrey, UK.
Posts: 7,509
Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
"..this will probably be the last time I will reply here."

I think the OP has bowed out of the thread...
Not just this thread I think.........
__________________
There are lots of brilliant keyboard players and then there is Rick Wakeman.....
Sideband is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:04 am.


All information and advice on this forum is subject to the WARNING AND DISCLAIMER located at https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html.
Failure to heed this warning may result in death or serious injury to yourself and/or others.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2002 - 2023, Paul Stenning.