UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 10th Feb 2024, 9:16 pm   #61
Just-in
Tetrode

Default Re: Help with Pye Black Box please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
At the risk of being a little irritating, punctuation goes a long way to making your posts less ambiguous.
How did you manage to evade a shocking experience with your turntable in the end? Did it relate to the request for colour codes?
Yeah sorry I have never been good at or looked into punctuation so my knowledge on it is non existent. And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Just-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2024, 9:21 pm   #62
PaulR
Dekatron

As a matter of interest could you post some photos showing the amplifier end and connections of the mains lead you replaced, and the components you replaced?

It would be a good idea not to use it again until we have seen the photos
Old 11th Feb 2024, 4:51 pm   #63
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
... And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Sounds like a good result.

From the pictures you posted, it is a good looking retro player. Have you considered trying to add a bluetooth receiver? The speakers are usually surprisingly good in these old players.

Although I am sure you are careful when the device is plugged in and switched on, valve based amplifiers can still bite after they are disconnected from the mains due to stored charge in the PSU electrolytic capacitors. So one arm behind your back is what we try and do when taking readings!
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:19 pm   #64
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
So one arm behind your back is what we try and do when taking readings!

Indeed. One engineer I knew, who had a heart-condition, always worked with one hand in his pocket when working with powered-on mains radios or TVs!
Mike
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:53 pm   #65
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Yeah sorry I have never been good at or looked into punctuation so my knowledge on it is non existent. And no fixing the player had nothing to do with colour coding that was because I've replaced several components that were colour coded and it was annoying to figure out what was what and what it could be replaced with. Anyhow I redid the plug but the problem was Persisting and then I put a new mains cable on and that fixed it.
Assume you used a new color-coded 3 core cable to replace the red, green and black cable.
Old 11th Feb 2024, 7:36 pm   #66
John10b
Nonode

Hi just-in, I am obviously pleased that you have got the unit playing, well done.
However I still don’t understand what exactly was wrong, just replacing the mains lead, assuming it was the original, would not solve the problem you originally experienced, in my opinion. Could you explain further what you found wrong with the old mains lead you replaced. Many thanks.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:02 pm   #67
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Hi just-in, I am obviously pleased that you have got the unit playing, well done.
However I still don’t understand what exactly was wrong, just replacing the mains lead, assuming it was the original, would not solve the problem you originally experienced, in my opinion. Could you explain further what you found wrong with the old mains lead you replaced. Many thanks.
John
I do think that a further explanation of what was done is needed, and exactly what and why colour coded components were replaced. The most obvious components are resistors but why replace them? It seems unlikely that they were tested and found to be out of spec in view of the earlier comments asking what they are. Were any capacitors replaced? That is why I asked for photos of the work done and why I hesitate to get further involved without a lot more feedback from the O/P.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:42 pm   #68
Just-in
Tetrode

Hello again I see a few people have asked about what I have done all I've done is replace what needed replaced. It has now been pat tested and checked over by a electrician I managed to get a hold of. It works fine now and will be stored for the foreseeable future thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this will probably be the last time I will reply here.
Just-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:19 pm   #69
rmorti
Pentode

Quote:
Hello again I see a few people have asked about what I have done all I've done is replace what needed replaced. It has now been pat tested and checked over by a electrician I managed to get a hold of. It works fine now and will be stored for the foreseeable future thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this will probably be the last time I will reply here.
But...what needed "replacing", and why? Which components?
rmorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 8:30 pm   #70
Boulevardier
Octode

"..this will probably be the last time I will reply here."

I think the OP has bowed out of the thread...
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 9:03 pm   #71
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
"..this will probably be the last time I will reply here."

I think the OP has bowed out of the thread...
Not just this thread I think.........