UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2009, 12:39 am   #1
deminimis
Retired Dormant Member

Default '78 Blaupunkt Frankfurt 8-pin DIN MP3 Adapter?

Hello. First post. Tried to find the answer, but not having a ton of luck. I would like to connect a MP3 device to a new 1978 Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM stereo head unit. This unit has both the 6-pin DIN (mono) and 8-pin DIN (stereo) female ports on the backside. I've looked at the 7-pin diagram to do this in French, but that only helps a bit. Can anyone here specifically tell me which pins I need to wire up to make this work? Thank you very much.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/620109.jpg
Old 19th Nov 2009, 12:54 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: '78 Blaupunkt Frankfurt 8-pin DIN MP3 Adapter?

Why not get one of those short range transmitters and tune it and the radio to a vacant channel on the FM band. No risk to either the MP3 or the radio that way!

Or put up the relevant pages of the manual?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 1:03 am   #3
deminimis
Retired Dormant Member

Don't care much for the FM transmitters. I've used them quite a bit and the fuzz, other interference and muted sound is a bit much. I don't have the install manual handy, but I do not believe it provides a schematic for the DIN ports. I understand there might be potential risks going this route, but its been done quite a bit with the 6 and 7 pin units. The easier way would be a line out adapter to RCA cables and into an amp that has a separate aux input. I'm really trying to avoid that as this is going into a restored show car (convertible), so such goodies are forbotten and easily spotted. A small, hidden mini jack adapted to the Frankfurt's rear port might be better for this particular application. Of course, I could make the amp application removable for shows, if i went that route. Humm. Well, let's see what, if anything, pops up here, even if only for academic purposes. The more I think about it, the more I think I might go the modern amp route and make it easily removable.

Last edited by deminimis; 19th Nov 2009 at 1:32 am.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:01 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'm certain this has been covered on this forum before, but basically the 8 pin DIN Socket is the audio in/out jack. Ther should be a blanking plug inserted in this socket which bridges pin 1 to pin 3, and pin 4 to pin 5, pins 1(LH) & 4 (RH) being the RADIO signal to the amplifier stages, and pin 3(LH), 5(RH) being the inputs to the Audio Amp. With the blanking plug removed, an external device-MP3/IPod, CD or Cassette Player can be connected. In the case of MP3/IPods, only pins3, 5, and 2(AF negative common) are used, via a screened lead with a 5pin 180 degree DIN Plug one end, and a 3.5mm stereo Jack Plug the other. Bear in mind that, with the blanking plug removed, there will be NO SOUND from the RADIO unless a DP Switch to remake the connections bridged by the B.P., is included. This was internally incorporated in the cassette and cartridge players used with such radios in the 1970s. Somewhere on these pages are links showing the DIN Plug/Socket pin numbering. Perhaps all this info can all be incorporated into a 'read-only' section for future reference. mods.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 19th Nov 2009 at 11:02 am. Reason: correcting an error in pin nos. of DIN Socket
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:08 am   #5
Station X

Does this thread help?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37599

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:19 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Graham, that's the one I of which I was thinking. Hope this helps, demininmis. I would only make two points, having worked as a repair engineer for a Blaupunkt Dealer for 23 years. (1)Pin 2, not 6 was always used as AF Common negative-pin 6 being the DC Negative. (2) A lead, wired as shown-i.e. without a 'Radio/Aux-in' switch, will be simpler to make up, but there will be breakthrough from the Radio unless it is tuned to a quiet place on the dial-if such a thing exsists anymore!
Old 19th Nov 2009, 3:16 pm   #7
Station X

LIVEWIRE?

Please feel free to start a new thread describing how to connect external devices such as MP3 players to car radios with DIN sockets. The mods can then make it sticky.

If you want to reuse pictures just crop them slightly and they'll be accepted.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 3:49 pm   #8
deminimis
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you gentlemen. Found the referenced thread before, but it didn't address the 8-pin DIN. I do not have much experience with these radios, so didn't want to start guessing too much (it would be a shame to damage a brand new 31 yr old radio). Thanks for clearing up information as it relates to the 8-pin connections. All seems so simple now.
Old 20th Nov 2009, 10:57 am   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Deminimis-the 8 pin DIN Socket is wired the same way as the 7 pin one. Ignore the centre pin(8) In fact do not connect anything to any pins, except pins 1, 4, 2, 5 & 3, following the diagrams mentioned by Graham on post#5.
Graham, given time and inclination(!)I may do as you suggest as there is obviously quite a bit of interest in this subject.
Old 20th Nov 2009, 5:13 pm   #10
deminimis
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you again Livewire?.

-Deminimis
Old 21st Feb 2010, 4:58 pm   #11
Derek UK
Retired Dormant Member

I hope you managed to get your Frankfurt up and running OK. I have what I guess is the Euro version of this with Long and short waves added. It has the same type of push buttons. Was good enough to be fitted to the RR Silver Shadow at the time and is in their brochures. Mine more mundanely fitted in a Volvo Amazon. I bought mine along with a matching cassette deck that attaches via the Din plug you talk about. Switching on the cassette cuts off the radio. Cassette also has facility to use a switched microphone for dictation purposes. High tech for the time I suppose. I do have an adaptor, ex German car audio company, just need an iPod now.

Also got an earlier mono Frankfurt that needs some TLC. Switches on, makes noises, but as soon as you take your fingers off the tuning knob, the station disappears. I'm not technically minded enough to make more than a guess that the AFC, if it has one, is totally unstable. That comment probably shows my minimal knowledge but comments and help welcomed.
I will repost this part as a new thread if requested.
1st post, but I'll learn............
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 6:30 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Derek(and others)Your Frankfurt Mono, and all '70s onwards Blaupunkt FM radios that I know of, do indeed have(permanently connected)AFC-in fact a 'narrow band' version called 'ETC'(Electronic Tuning Control)Somewhere I may still have some data sheets covering this system, but it could be the cause of your tuning fault, or maybe it's something mechanical in th PushButton tuner. If you would like me to check it over, and are prepared to post it to me, please send me a Private Message.
Old 1st Mar 2010, 3:20 pm   #13
Derek UK
Retired Dormant Member

Livewire - Thanks for your reply and kind offer. The system seems to have eaten the PM I sent a few days ago, it doesn't even appear in my sent box so I'll try again. Would you prefer me to PM or email you?
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:17 am   #14
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As you know, Derek, we have been in contact by email regarding your Frankfurt, etc. As to your PM, I guess it's due to the fact that, as a new member, your posts/messages are checked and approved by the moderators before they are 'published' on the forum. Am I right, mods?
Closed Thread