UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2019, 1:43 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Disassembly of Sanyo M4100K boombox

Does anyone know how to get the handle off this model radio cassette player? The handle in place seems to be holding the back on yet the pins apparently holding in the handle will not pop out - think they might be screwed in or something. Thanks
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 1:54 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dissembly of Sanyo M4100K boombox

Sorry I can't help specifically, but it's rare in units of this era for the handle to have to be removed before splitting the cabinet. Normally, it's pretty permanently attached.

Could you post some photos showing us the actual problem you're describing please?

Nick.
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 1:55 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It's sometimes easy to miss a retaining screw.
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 2:08 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, typical hidden ones are in the battery compartment, in the cassette well, or under push-on knobs.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 6:26 pm   #5
avocollector
Heptode

Here are some pics of the boombox and the troublesome handle - I've found all the other screws, pulled off the knobs etc and still no joy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	191294   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	191295   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	191296   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	191297  
Old 4th Oct 2019, 6:27 pm   #6
avocollector
Heptode

Also meant to say thanks to everybody for their suggestions. The pins holding in the handle will NOT pry out or unscrew with reasonable force - I'm thinking they must be screwed or held in some way.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 7:40 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

I presume that to remove the handle you are trying to separate the case? By gently trying to prise around the split of the case you should find a more resistant part that can be further investigated for hidden screws.
However sometimes a thin piece of felt is glued to one half of the case to deaden vibration where it meets the other half. Over the years the glue migrates through the felt until it effectively glues the case together. A little heat may help to soften the glue and then have the courage to force it!
Good luck with it.
Peter
Old 5th Oct 2019, 5:18 am   #8
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
I presume that to remove the handle you are trying to separate the case? By gently trying to prise around the split of the case you should find a more resistant part that can be further investigated for hidden screws.
However sometimes a thin piece of felt is glued to one half of the case to deaden vibration where it meets the other half. Over the years the glue migrates through the felt until it effectively glues the case together. A little heat may help to soften the glue and then have the courage to force it!
Good luck with it.
Peter
Thanks - that's what I tried in picture No 1 above - the case is separated progressively towards the bottom LH end of the pic - and you can see the separation leads and narrows towards the handle fixture at the top RH. It's more firmly fixed than I really want to put any pressure on. I assume there is some 'trick' to opening it but really cannot figure it out.
Closed Thread