UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:15 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default "Demon" transistor radio

This radio was bought untested from the Internet. It was a little grubby but complete with it's leather shoulder strap. I was pleased to find it working, in a fashion, once a 9v battery had been connected. Stations could be tuned in at low volume on LW, but MW reception was non existent. Closer inspection revealed that the ferrite rod aerial was cracked in the middle and the MW winding was open circuit where the rod had contacted a metal support on the chassis. After removing the ferrite rod assembly, I was able to glue it together again and repair the damaged winding without losing any turns.

After reassembly, both wavebands worked but volume was still low. There was a dramatic increase in sound level when I touched one end of the ferrite rod and careful adjustment of the two aerial trimmers restored normal operation on both wavebands. I don't know if the radio was damaged in the post or was like that already. As others have reported on this forum, the sound from this model, although loud and clear, is a little thin and lacking in bass. I may investigate this later and see if an improvement can be made.

The picture shows the radio after it had a light clean up and a little dark furniture polish applied to restore some of the faded colour (tan though it looks dark red in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Demon #1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	173171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demon #2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	173172  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:38 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: "Demon" transistor radio

Good job Martin, nice to see another Eveready set preserved and working. However seems strange but every one of these I’ve seen over the years has a “saggy” speaker cloth showing the outline of the speaker. Can’t think of another set with this “feature”.
Peter
Old 20th Nov 2018, 9:00 pm   #3
martin.m
Hexode

Thanks Peter, I didn't notice the saggy speaker cloth but I see what you mean now. I was going to ask in my first post if anyone thought it was worth changing the Plessey electrolytics. Are they troublesome in old age?

Regards
Martin
Old 20th Nov 2018, 9:40 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Generally those red/black/yellow Plessy caps are well past their best by now and regarded as change on sight (bit like Hunts waxies). As an example I am currently restoring a Bush TR82 from 1963. The Plessey caps in that were all poor (an ESR meter confirmed it). One was almost O/C, the others were in varying degrees of low capacitance/leaky/high ESR. Changing them produced a marked improvement.

Last edited by Sideband; 20th Nov 2018 at 9:48 pm.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 9:58 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

I've got one just like that but it's a 'Skymaster'. It works but it's a bit rough and I haven't got a 'round tuit' yet. It's been on the shelf for years but as it's a bit of a wreck I keep putting it off!
Old 20th Nov 2018, 10:19 pm   #6
martin.m
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
It works but it's a bit rough
Antique dealers call this "Patina". I just clean and tidy up radios as best I can. I don't have the time (or skill) to restore to showroom condition.

Regards
Martin
Old 20th Nov 2018, 10:28 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I've got one just like that but it's a 'Skymaster'. It works but it's a bit rough and I haven't got a 'round tuit' yet. It's been on the shelf for years but as it's a bit of a wreck I keep putting it off!
If it's just like that it will be a Sky Leader - the Sky Master is a bit later, and smaller, uses a PP7 rather than PP9 and is totally different inside.

Demons usually appear in a different cabinet that's never used for Sky Leaders -

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/berec_demon.html -

but this form isn't especially scarce.

Paul
Old 20th Nov 2018, 11:11 pm   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

It shouldn't sound "thin", my Sky Leader sounds just about right. Maybe there is one or more electrolytic capacitors which need changing, as suggested by Sideband.
These early pre AF11x transistor radios are normally very reliable and normally work first time, however they can tend to be a bit weak if they have not been used for some years, but they can sometimes improve after an hour of use as the electrolytic capacitors reform.

Mike
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 5:00 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I recently acquired an Ever-Ready Sky Leader, haven't looked at it yet.

Unlike the Berec Demon, the subject of this topic, my set has a hand wired chassis. Perhaps it's an early production version?

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ER_SkyLeader_1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	173243   Click image for larger version

Name:	ER_SkyLeader_2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	173244  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 5:35 pm   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Unlike the Berec Demon, the subject of this topic, my set has a hand wired chassis. Perhaps it's an early production version?
Yes, an earlier example. The Sky Leader / Demon was in production for a few years, I'm not sure which out of the hand-wired and printed circuit versions exists in greater numbers.

Paul
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 11:04 pm   #11
martin.m
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Generally those red/black/yellow Plessy caps are well past their best by now and regarded as change on sight.
I changed the three Plessey electrolytics and another Hunts cap (10uF/6v) which connects the wiper of the volume control to the base of the audio driver transistor. The sound is much improved now. Thank you all for your comments and advice. I am enjoying fixing these new-fangled transistor radios.

Regards
Martin
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 1:11 am   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Interesting that radios from an ostensibly export brand appear in such numbers here.
Closed Thread