UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2018, 3:33 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default The auction photo that gives the lie!!

With the rise of online auction and the practice of including pictures of what is being sold, I've often found quite a funny discrepancy between the item's description and the photo included especially when looking for valve radios and old test gear. Two particularly amused me;

One was a valve radio that was 'in really excellent condition having been used in the chicken shed, had a few valves missing but would just need a bit of TLC to get it going again'. That may be so but the photo showed the radio had no knobs, only one valve, the transformer had boiled all the pitch out of it all down the side of the chassis and it was literally covered with white chook poop. I could not see the speaker so out of curiosity I asked about it only to be told 'oh that's missing too, but I did not think it necessary to mention it'.

The other one was a real classic from a major chain store - it was a used guitar amplifier which was described accurately and in reasonable terms and certainly looked the part - the picture showed all this to be true - and also the store price sticker on it which was $30 cheaper than the start price of the internet auction!! As some one commented; 'you would think they could read, would you not - LOL.'

So anyone else have some favourite stories along these lines??
Old 19th Nov 2018, 4:54 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: The auctionj photo that gives the lie!!

I used to enjoy the listings of some sellers for the way they described their products - some very tongue-in-cheek, some outright crude but they made browsing their 'shops' a quite enjoyable experience - indeed I looked at a lot more interesting stuff than I would normally have done simply for the entertainment value!

Such selling techniques actually work - I am inclined to be very descriptive when listing my own items and often 'embellish' the wording to add some light-heartedness. I see no problem with this and it shows (I think) that the seller actually takes an interest in what they are doing.

Outright 'howlers' of listings sometimes make the media headlines - albeit way down in the priorities of course - such as inappropriate reflections and genuine 'evil' as forms of revenge!

Sadly I now find such places to be far too commercial - the ratio of true auctioneers to retail outlets is fractional (list 'all' then list 'auction only' to see a 100:1 reduction in listings in many cases). If people don't want to take in interest in what they're selling I reckon buyers don't want to take much notice either.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 5:21 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I haven't bought much in online auctions recently, but a few years ago I was sometimes amused to see starting prices for items found in attics which were equal to or higher than the price the same item could be bought retail from a proper dealer with a warranty.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 5:31 pm   #4
Viewmaster
Hexode

On the other hand some folk get hold of a rare piece that doesn't look like a radio and sell it as 'unknown scientific item' or such.

Unless experts spot it, it can sell for peanuts.

I have such an item in my collection which was described as unknown.

A PRE broadcast Marconi Scientific Instrument Co., wireless with V24 intact valve which I bought for
a few peanuts. Worth many sacks of peanuts !
Old 19th Nov 2018, 5:53 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Pricing policies are ever more bizarre (i think some people rely on software for this?)

I can't think of any other reason why a badly photographed dusty post-war Avometer with a crucial lump missing...worth maybe £8- is up for 2,3,4, or 5 hundred GBP... This would mean my pre-war Model 7 would have to go on the household insurance as a specified item..ooh, at least £1,200. No, mate, it won't work! Did i make a sarcastic bid of £1 as a subtle hint? Yes of course. I felt like Father Dougal when he was confronted with a big red button marked DO NOT PRESS!

Dave
Old 19th Nov 2018, 6:24 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Please remember that there are strict forum rules prohibiting the discussion of eBay auctions and traders, and the company itself. We are sailing a bit close to the wind here.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 6:57 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

What I have found and I state regardless where they are advertised is that one persons in "good order" compared to another is very often a world away.

Possibly some folks need to go to S### S######.Or at least get there eyes tested.

Hope that is not too close to the wind
Old 19th Nov 2018, 8:54 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Farm displenishment auctions can be rather interesting. Livestock, machinery, tractors, grain silos, small tools, gates, fencing, anything which can be moved!

And then you see some somewhat lubricated farmers bidding away for a rather rusty electric fence unit with one croc clip missing in action. They bid up significantly beyond the new price at the agricultural merchants five miles down the road. The auctioneers know what they're doing when they get a bacon butty van and a bar along. It's been like this since before anyone could spell interweb or ebay.

David
Old 19th Nov 2018, 9:21 pm   #9
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default Re: The auction photo that gives the lie!!

Having had first hand experience ( Twice!) of all family farm belongings being auctioned off I can relate to this. FOMO in modern parlance, Fear Of Missing Out with a deal of personal rivalry thrown in often bidded up the items. Sadly other treasured things can go for a pittance so it works both ways.
Pete
Old 19th Nov 2018, 10:00 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

I have terrible problems with this. I think I’m in about my 20th “working oscilloscope” and the only one that did work was the one that was listed as broken.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 10:05 pm   #11
mark2collection
Hexode

Not only do you have to be honest with such things (online listings), humor & an honest photo go a long way.

But do keep in mind the things the camera can pick up in reflections of windows, CRT TV screens or a radio dial!

Almost had a 'whoops' moment myself, realising the error when the photo was transferred from camera to PC, still makes me chuckle.

Mark
Old 19th Nov 2018, 11:04 pm   #12
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Regarding farm auctions, I have had a few bargains, but some stuff goes for silly high money. However, I was told that if it was a retirement sale, the normally parsimonius farmer would regard it as a parting gift for an old ally/foe. Who knows?
Les.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 2:24 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Please remember that there are strict forum rules prohibiting the discussion of eBay auctions and traders, and the company itself. We are sailing a bit close to the wind here.
One post that had enough information to allow a listing and seller to be identified has been deleted. Any more and this thread gets closed.

As Paul mentioned this thread is sailing close to the wind already...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Nov 2018, 3:29 pm   #14
MurphyNut
Heptode

I'm often amused at adverts that describe a radio as Art Deco or from the 1930's, when it's in fact an unremarkable 1950's set.
I hope members don't spoil this thread and get it closed, it's got a lot of entertaining mileage in it!
Old 20th Nov 2018, 3:53 pm   #15
Thyristor
Pentode

Hopefully my post is 'general' enough to get through..

During a recent house move, my Avo was dropped and broken (but not by me !)

A search for it's successor, has provided much mirth...

You get 25 high-resolution, crystal-clear images of the leather case, from each and every angle, all worthy of David Bailey.
And just one, dark and blurry image of the top of the Avo, still in said case; the picture taken, no doubt, in the under-stairs cupboard, by candlelight....
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:21 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's not a proper auction photo without "harmonica man" in there somewhere
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:35 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

And another point, it is amazing how much stuff is described as "rare".
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:41 pm   #18
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
And another point, it is amazing how much stuff is described as "rare".
Also loads of stuff that has ‘Dansette legs’ from coffee table, beds, sideboards and anything with legs, round, square, tapered, or any shape. Almost none are actually Dansette legs.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 9:00 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
And another point,it is amazing how much stuff is described as "rare".
Well it's probably the only one the seller has ever had.........and the strange stain on the centre page is probably unique
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Nov 2018, 9:25 pm   #20
teetoon
Heptode

You only need to add the word "VINTAGE" and you can name your price with these "RARE" items.

I search daily for genuine bargains and some people do still have them. Most seem to come from recycle facilities or charity organisations where they have not cost anything, so any profit is welcome rather than another landfill item.
Just my opinion.

David.
Closed Thread