UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2015, 10:52 am   #1
brenellic2000
Octode

Default PP9 battery - reversed polarity.

I have had, over several years, the odd Ever Ready PP9 battery in my 'Hacker Sovereign II' go reverse polarity! As you'll know it has 2 x PP9 in series.

Worringly, I've had two reversals in almost as many months on the same radio -my other Sovereign II's batteries seem to last for years.

What is the cause?

- is there a fault in the radio? Seems unlikely as they are in series and the other is fine.

- or a manufacturing/internal fault in the battery - an individual cell failure, poor QA?

- is there a more reliable brand out there?

Barry
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:33 am   #2
af024
Octode

Default Re: PP9 battery - reversed polarity.

Does it read reverse polarity when disconnected from the set?
Old 23rd May 2015, 1:17 pm   #3
broadgage
Nonode

I suspect that one battery has a greater capacity than the other. When they are discharged in series, the lower capacity battery discharges first, and then as the good battery continues to provide current the bad one becomes reverse charged.

Batteries used in series should preferably be of the same brand, age, and type.

When using multiple AA or D cells in series I test each one on load before use, this sounds irksome but is very quick. I use a 1.5 volt torch bulb and a 1 ohm resistance in parallel and find that the brightness or otherwise of the lamp is very quickly observed.

For 9 volt batteries I would test with a 6 volt 3 watt bulb and no resistance. Such batteries are intended for relatively slow discharge, and a load test at over 0.5 amp is a severe test and a good guide to condition.
Do not worry about over running the bulb for such a brief test.
Old 23rd May 2015, 1:54 pm   #4
paulsherwin

This was my thinking too.
Old 23rd May 2015, 3:21 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks lads,

Yes, it does read reversed off set; and yes I do replace in pairs, but one (the first in the series) always seems to go flat quicker... so it does make sense that the good is trying to recharge the bad.

Do I take it then that this not a manufacturing fault in the battery, but luck of the draw?

TTFN
Old 23rd May 2015, 3:22 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's a well known phenomena and why you shouldnt mix battery types as already mentioned. Some can leak badly when reverse charged...it happens with AA types as well which are very often series connected. I was confused when I first came across it! Maybe fit some reverse parallel diodes?
Old 23rd May 2015, 5:09 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Yes, the first cell to run out of capacity will be reverse charged by the rest.

Batteries in series though... Are they in a simple series connection, or is there a connection to the mid point? Some output stages needed the mid-point as a return point for the loudspeaker. If the balance of the O/P stage isn't quite right, there could well be a small, steady current draw from the mid-point, which would act to discharge one battery before the other. And then the other would reverse-charge it. Not good.

Anti-parallel diodes across each battery would be a good, cheap, protection method but sadly few, if any, manufacturers fitted them.
Closed Thread