UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2018, 5:40 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Honey Extractor

Bit of a long shot here...... help needed with a (non) sticky problem

Does anyone know of a supplier for a 12mm shaft diameter centrifugal clutch vee belt pulley?

There's any number of 19mm / 3/4" and 25mm / 1" to be found online but seem to be b****r all in any other size.

It's for the spinner drive motor of an old (1977) centrifugal honey extractor. The linings have fallen off the shoes in the original clutch.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 6:01 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Honey Extractor

Possibly ask here: http://www.acbelting.co.uk/default.asp
Peter
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 6:16 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

I might be thinking about getting hold of some friction lining material of about the right radius (moped brake drums? Qualcast mower centrifugal clutch?), and riveting it on with copper rivets. I don't think epoxy will do (not good at high temp) and when I asked my mate who used to be at Ferodo what they use to bond linings, he would only say 'Prit Stick'

If anyone knows of a glue for bonding linings (on antique honey extractors, just to keep us firmly on-topic and away from the mods' ire) I would be very interested to know.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:51 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

The linings are still there, just detached.

The bonding glue is some sort of hot cure phenolic resin stuff that has to have the linings firmly compressed onto the shoes during curing to prevent evolved gases causing voids in the joint. The shoes need to be degreased then shot blasted to provide a suitable keyed surface.

Riveting isn't an option, the shoes are about 1" radius and half an inch thick.

Not easily DiY.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:04 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

I may be getting my nomenclature mixed up - do you mean the thing the lining was bonded to, is 1/2" thick? Rivets come in all sorts of lengths (I don't mean pop rivets, but I guess you know that), but if the backing is that thick maybe you can even tap it and screw the things on. I guess it's not like the similar but off-topic safety-critical thing we're definitely not talking about () where making it up as you go along like this might be regarded as somewhat...cavalier.

One of those really aggressive wire-rope mops in an angle grinder will give you a nice keyed, clean surface if you can find a glue that will take a bit of heat.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:05 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

While epoxy wouldn't be any good for brake linings, I wouldn't have thought this clutch would get too hot, so it should do here.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 11:17 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
I may be getting my nomenclature mixed up - do you mean the thing the lining was bonded to, is 1/2" thick? Yes

Rivets come in all sorts of lengths (I don't mean pop rivets, but I guess you know that), but if the backing is that thick maybe you can even tap it and screw the things on. I guess it's not like the similar but off-topic safety-critical thing we're definitely not talking about () where making it up as you go along like this might be regarded as somewhat...cavalier. The screw idea might have legs...... some countersunk brass M2.5 could maybe do the job- they'd be soft enough not to care about scoring the drum, not that it would matter anyway. Thinking a bit more, they wouldn't even need tapped holes, all they have to do is stop the linings from slipping round between the flyweight shoes and the drum and there's very little clearance between the two anyway.

One of those really aggressive wire-rope mops in an angle grinder will give you a nice keyed, clean surface if you can find a glue that will take a bit of heat. Heat may well not be an issue. The clutch only slips for a short period until the heavy extractor frame catches up with the drive spindle.

You're right about no safety issues, the clutch is purely functional.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 11:33 pm   #8
Station X

Have you tried a brake relining shop?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 11:59 pm   #9
joebog1
Banned

I use contact cement!! Dont laugh!! I have repaired many mini bike centrifical clutches using contact. My ride on lawn mower has a 17 HP engine and the forward and reverse clutches are made from ordinary cork tiles, glued to the flywheels with ordinary solvent based ( MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone) contact and I use the mower regularly, and it climbs hills of about 15%. I have never lost the clutch.

Just my take on it

Joe

My honey extractor is hand cranked
Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:03 am   #10
joebog1
Banned

sorry mods
You must clean off all the old glue with abrasive before reglueing. Even rough up the surface with 40 or 50 grit emery cloth first.
j.b.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:10 am   #11
mark_in_manc
Octode

Again trying not to go off-topic, such a thing is hard to find locally, these days. I know of one or two national mail-order exchange type outfits which we'd better not discuss here, but who I could suggest by PM if anyone needs to know.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 8:19 am   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

www.traffordbrake.co.uk/products.html

Never used them but they bond brake linings.
There was a firm in Denton who rebuilt brakes, clutches and CV joints but I'm blowed if I can remember the name and I used them for years.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:43 am   #13
poppydog
Banned

Drill through, countersink to a third of the lining's thickness then use a soft rivet. It's not like you're engaging to pull a 10 ton trailer

Regards, poppydog.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:54 am   #14
poppydog
Banned

Sorry Chris just looked again and saw riveting is not a option
Old 4th Apr 2018, 11:19 am   #15
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Herald, some photos would be interesting to see.
Regards - Mike
Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:31 pm   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

If the linings have just come adrift from the pulley but are still serviceable, I think that Plastic Padding 'Super Steel' two-part epoxy would be very suitable to re-attach the linings. It sets rock hard - I've used it extensively for such things as filling holes in die-cast alloy boxes, Bakelite cabinet repairs, sealing the ends of re-stuffed paper caps and smoothing cap cans and re-fixing valve bases and top caps. Despite it being 'metal filled' it's not electrically conductive. (I've tested it at 1,000V DC). More importantly, for re-fixing the brake linings, it withstands up to 315°C (600°F).

This is from the maker's website:

PLASTIC PADDING SUPER STEEL EPOXY-WELD:

SUPER STEEL is a metal-filled two-component adhesive which sets like steel. Seals, bonds, fixes and replaces.

SUPER STEEL is a dark-grey coloured, metal-filled, two-component adhesive which sets like steel and is suitable for metal, wood, china, stone, glass and leather. Seals, bonds, fixes and replaces and therefore ideal for general emergency repairs around the home, garden, farm, car and boat. It hardens in 5 min and cures in 10 min. Max. temp 315°C (<100 continuous). Contains 54g/l solvent. Not for soft plastic and Polypropylene.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...dTab=technical

You can get it from larger branches of Halfords for £7.00, or from online e-bay shops typically for £5.98 post free.

Hope that might help.

Incidentally, spin dryers use a centrifugal brake to stop the spin within seconds of the lid being opened.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 2:00 pm   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

My late mother's 1960's spin dryer (I forget the make) did not have a centrifugal brake, but had a spring-biassed electromagnet controlled by the lid-operated power switch that operated the brake as soon as the lid was opened. In the 1970's the electromagnet went open circuit and I rewound it (using the take-up spool arm of my 8mm cine projector).
Old 4th Apr 2018, 2:51 pm   #18
Refugee
Dekatron

Have you tried the manufacturer or looked for an agent whom can supply spare parts.
It sounds like the parts may be the same as the ones used on cylinder mowers.
Have a look on the web as most suppliers have photos of what they sell.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 5:09 pm   #19
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I hope I'm not reading your request wrong, I suggest you contact a local model engineering club and one of their member would make and fit an adapter bush 12mm to 19mm or 25mm for you, then you can buy a new unit altogether. But I think as others have said, re bond on the existing material. The wife has a Mobylette moped many years ago and I re-bonded on loose centrifugal clutches material, several time before it expired altogether, worth a try. Alternatively, look in "Old Bike Mart" magazine and there are many advertisers who reline brakes and clutches, I'm sure they would fix it for you. Ted
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:24 am   #20
Herald1360
Dekatron

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was ready to "have a go", but the owner preferred the relining service route suggested by the mechanic who's the "go to" hereabouts for anything mechanical that needs to be competently sorted. (OT aside- he's currently doing a cambelt replacement in the 200Tdi in my 1970 series 2A).

So the shoes were dropped off at a local motor and agricultural factor to go off to somewhere in Cardiff that relines anything.

Update as and when....
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread