UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2017, 3:36 pm   #1
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Making a single mono sound come out of 2 channels

I have a reel to reel tape recorded on a 2 track tape recorder. I disconnect the right out put plug to hear only the sound on track 1 of a 4 track tape recorder. That works fine.

Question is how do I get sound from that one track to go into both left and right channels on my mini disc recorder?

I'm guessing I need a splitter plug allowing a single plug into my reel to reel and the usual stereo leads plugged into that and the other to my mini disc recorder.

I have numerous plugs that go the other way so I hope someone understands what I'm trying to do.
Old 1st May 2017, 4:04 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Making a single mono sound come out of 2 channels

Conceptually it's easy. There is no problem in linking the 2 inputs (left and right channels) of the minidisk recorder together and driving them from a single output on the tape recorder.

Practically there are/were many different connectors used on audio equipment. Can you tell us exactly what you have (make and model of the tape recorder and minidisk recorder, and any cables you have) and what the connectors are (if you don't know the names, post good closeup pictures of them, we will recognise them).

Incidentally, many stereo 4-track recorders did allow you to play one track through both channels. It may just be a matter of setting the controls properly.
Old 1st May 2017, 8:38 pm   #3
EMI BTR 3
Tetrode

Isn't there a way to set the MD recorder for mono mode recording? All the ones I know offer at minimum stereo and mono (with mono giving double the available recording time on an MD compared with stereo mode)
Old 1st May 2017, 11:00 pm   #4
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

The mini disc can record in mono (I forgot that, my brain was fogged up ) but normally I think that only gives you double recording time?? It's more that I want sound recording into both channels. I only got one as of course I was using only one wire of a 2 wired cable.

The reel to reel is Sony TC 366 and it's going into a Sony MD S38. Both have phono leads. I'm thinking I need a lead with on phono that splits into 2 at the other end. Does that exist or maybe I'm trying to do the impossible!
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:02 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes the Mini Disco mono feature gives about five and a half hours recording time but it's not relevant. You are after recording a simulated stereo output from your R to Reel to Mini Disc. That should be no problem.
Phono leads that split one into two outputs are readily available check the web
or a Maplins store.

I do this all the time from mono recordings but not into a MD recorder, so the only problem could be a miss-match in output/input levels. It should be ok though! If that doesn't work other advice will be available on here [you'll still need the lead]. You are not trying to do anything that is at all unusual.
Hope that helps.

Dave W
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:15 am   #6
EMI BTR 3
Tetrode

Should be alright to just use one side of the connecting cable only, connected to the desired output of the tape deck. The MD deck will sum the left and right channels of an input signal to mono. In setting the record levels you may find that you won't get the levels on the MD deck showing higher than -6 without distortion due to only feeding one input. But if your deck has that ability to alter replay levels after recording (as my MD-JBS 940 can do) you could boost them that way after recording.

The only other thing otherwise is simply to get a Y adapter like this one, and use both leads into the one output of the tape deck.
Old 2nd May 2017, 6:43 am   #7
Dai Corner
Hexode

EMI's link didn't work for me, but this lead http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-twi...ble-075m-a39nx should do the job for 49p

Don't spend £12.99 on this one

Other suppliers are available
Old 2nd May 2017, 7:21 pm   #8
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Dave I'm sure I've done this before but a long time ago, hence the mental block!

RE the Maplin adaptor, it says "Stereo audio signal will be combined into a single mono audio signal".

I'm guessing that it will it work in reverse which is what I'm trying to do?

I don't think my mini disc will allow me to alter the replay levels. I've several (I inherited some from my Dad) so I'll check the manuals out.

When I get the channels sorted I intend to put it on to my computer using Total Recorder. I think I'll be able to alter the sound using that. The recording I'm most wanting to save is one of my Dad playing piano and accordion along with the rest of his band at a dance back in the 60s. Sound is surprisingly good on the reel of tape I have given the age!
Old 2nd May 2017, 8:13 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes I'm sure the lead is bi-directional. Maybe they didn't imagine anyone wanting to go Mono to Stereo but it's two into one or one into two however you use it. Once you get it to MD as two channels you can progress'

As an aside, I have a lot of material on MD often LP mode [Broadcast or live material isn't always covered by 74 or 80 minutes on the Disc]. One of my MD recorders had a dodgy mike socket [quite common] so there may actually only be one channel recorded anyway sometimes. In practise I've found that transferring to CD or whatever via a "split" lead has worked quite well in producing a "quasi stereo" image across both channels that has a depth of it's own. It's the same with 78's [mono by default of course] but sometimes surprising. It's often down to the recording. Let us know how you get on in the end.

About a decade ago I played a recording made by a friend in the sixties. He was singing a sort of spoof pop song "Leaves falling from the trees" etc [that was the harmonised chorus]. A relatively crude mono recording but clear and affecting-he had no idea I'd done it and was quite moved! He's not with us now. These audio histories are well worth having.

Dave
Old 4th May 2017, 12:39 pm   #10
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

I'll come back let you know Dave!
Old 17th May 2017, 7:25 pm   #11
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Just an update to say the lead has worked fine so thanks to all.

Can't agree more Dave that it's at times quite moving to hear bygone recordings. I'm glad to have this one as I was just a baby at the time it was originally made, in fact in 1954 according to the label on the tape. It gave a name of the hotel that I'd not heard of in the town where I grew up and had to ask my Mum was there a Bath Hotel? To which she replied yes!
Old 18th May 2017, 10:24 pm   #12
Dai Corner
Hexode

Thanks for letting us know how you got on Caroline.

Good to hear you can now listen to those tapes and relive the memories. I wish I had an archive like that!
Old 19th May 2017, 12:58 am   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Great outcome for you Caroline. Dai you may not have the archive as described but you can make one for the future. Just half a century ago only the very rich, technically skilled or well placed could make a memory of anything.
Now anyone can put their life and times on a digital device. The downside is it gets lost, or thrown away when they upgrade because organising and archiving requires a bit of thought. Progress [of a sort ]. Those photos in a cardboard box under the bed still have value.

Dave W
Old 19th May 2017, 5:40 am   #14
ricard
Octode

Yeah, I think of that every year when I make a calendar for the family with my kids in it - it has the added bonus of there actually being prints of the twelve best pictures from that year.

Getting a bit off topic here though - all I can do is chime in and say great Caroline that you've got it working and it is amazing how emotional old sound recordings can be.
Closed Thread