UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2018, 9:45 am   #1
dexterslab
Triode

Default Vintage Gaming/tech/Computing Meet Manchester

i have been musing over the idea of trying to arrange a vintage/retro gaming/tech/computing meet or club around south manchester.

There is a small village hall close to me that can be hired out for evenings so could be a place for meeting up where we could show the things we have, talk about keeping old bits of tech going etc

given the number of vintage tech channels on YouTube now there is clearly growing interest in keeping old tech running

i think there used to be a group at Hackspace Manchester but they don't meet anymore

thoughts?

or if someone knows of a meet that exists already that i might have missed, please let me know!
Old 17th Apr 2018, 1:02 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Gaming/tech/Computing Meet Manchester

I have the interest, but unfortunately not the proximity to your location.

I used to be a member of an amateur radio club back in the mid to late nineties, even by then amateur radio was in decline and the meets were mostly just natter nights, which we could just as easily have done in a pub without any formalised membership structure or premises.

One outstanding exception was the night we decided to have a vintage computers evening, members brought in about 15 unusually interesting machines, all in working order. The evening was later declared a great success.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 6:58 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I would have an interest in such an event too, but I am also too far away. I guess that's the problem, vintage computer people are quite thin on the ground and thus quite a distance from each other.

Most of my interesting machines are not the sort of thing you can take to a meeting. Things like PDP8/e, PDP11s (many models), VAX11/730, PERQs, HP9000/200 series, HP9800 series, etc.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 7:09 pm   #4
acollins22
Pentode

Hi dexterslab,

I too would be interested but I'm near Leicester so its quite a haul for an evening.

Depending on the timing I might be able to make the odd one.

An occasional meeting on a Saturday or Sunday could work but perhaps bi-monthly or similar. Time is tight and real life keeps getting in the way of my hobbies

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 9:33 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Manchester is a bit of a haul from West Cumbria as well, so if I were to make the journey it would have to be for a daytime event rather than an evening.

I would not, however, be bringing my Cromemco!
Old 17th Apr 2018, 11:26 pm   #6
Outrun_uk
Heptode

I'd definatley be up for this! Dexterslab - you have/had my number (Redlake camera) so give me a shout

Kev
Old 18th Apr 2018, 7:31 am   #7
dexterslab
Triode

thanks for all the replies and a shame most of you seem to be a little bit far away!

but no matter, i'll see if i can find others! I think there is a hackspace in Altrincham which might have members interested in a vintage computers/games.

@Outrun_uk
hiya! good to see you again, did you make any progress on the camera?
Old 18th Apr 2018, 8:01 am   #8
nutteronthebus
Hexode

HI I am in Glossop I too would be interested . There are a number of members who live in and around Manchester that may also be interested

Dave
Old 18th Apr 2018, 2:15 pm   #9
electronicskip
Nonode

I am into vintage gaming in a big way ,and I'm a member of a vintage gaming forum.
Unfortunatly its too far to come just for an evening or I would have been there like a shot.
Old 19th Apr 2018, 8:35 am   #10
dexterslab
Triode

thanks again for the replies

i am putting feelers out to other places, if it starts to look like it's going to go ahead i'll bump this thread