UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2019, 6:10 pm   #41
Station X

Default Re: Calling the old BT technicians...

Numerous suggestions have been posted suggesting how you should investigate this fault. Have you tried any of them? If so what were the results?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 11:44 pm   #42
Oldcodger
Nonode

Looking back at original post. OP states that master sockets have been used to fit extensions . Ring trip is a well known problem with more than one master socket. And from what OP describes ,it sounds like Ring trip is the problem
Only cure is to remove the capacitors and rewire the property using three wires from the master socket ( BT MAIN SOCKET ) to the rest of the house. The wire pairs should be ( for OP info, not those of us who know how to suck eggs) speech pair =blue pair ( blue wire with white marker and white wire with blue marker ) , and an orange pair ( orange wire/white marker+ white wire/orange marker). The purists in wiring will say only one configuration is correct, but as long as OP sticks to same convention at all sockets, then it matters not. I'm not a purist, but like to make life simple, so I stick to the convention of colours high, and use the blue wire with white to pin 3, with whitewire with blue to pin 2 , with the orange wire/white marker to pin 5.
But of course , the easiest way to prove that house wiring is/is not the problem is to try locating the main phone in the BT line side of the BT master socket. This is done by removing the lower haf of the BT master socket ,thus revealing the BT plug in the main body. Plug a phone in there( if BB goes to a Wi Fi router, use a filter at this point) and if fault goes- it's internal and BT will charge to fix, as mentioned in post #20. And don't rely on BT blokes ( I hesitate to call them engineers these days ,with current level of training) to know that the internal socket on a master socket is solely connected to BT. I had one bloke turn up to a fault one day. He didn’t know that the recessed socket was connected to line. He thought that it was connected to internal wiring and tried to charge.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 27th Feb 2019 at 11:50 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 9:25 am   #43
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I believe the convention is (as you say) the blue pair for the speech pair, so surely they should go between pins 2 and 5. Normally blue with white stripes to pin 2 (the "B" leg of the speech pair) and white with blue stripes to pin 5 (the "A" leg). The orange pair then go orange with white stripes to pin 3 (ringer wire) and white with orange stripes to pin 4 (normally spare).

As you say though, it will work the same whatever wires you use as long as you're consistent.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:45 am   #44
Oldcodger
Nonode

Dave ,as you say ,there's convention. Internal cables are either 6w or 8 wire. A six wire cable had Blue + orange + green pairs. Pair one in any internal cable is always Blue. Pair two is orange and pair three is Green. I always used 8 wire with an additional brown pair as I worked on a lot of systems which had the need for 2 pair ( 4 wires ) per phone. Internal colour code is Blue, then orang,then green then brown .
However , consistency is KEY. As in a properly wired extension system ,the speech path is on the blue pair on terminals 2 & 5 of a socket. Ringing passes from terminal 2 to terminal 3 via a capacitor (to next socket). With a phone plugged in, ringing current passes from the capacitor in the master socket , to terminal 3 of the master- to terminal 3 of the slave , then via th "bell" circuit of the slave to terminal 5. Th purists can harp on about the need for certain colours being on certain terminals, but at th end of the day , consistency is KEY.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:28 pm   #45
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I too tend to use four-pair cabling a lot of the time - with double sockets for two extensions on a PBX. For completeness, a fifth pair uses slate (grey) with white. This convention can be extended to a maximum of thirty pairs by cycling through the blue to slate described above with first white, then red, black, yellow, violet and pink. With these multi-pair configurations it is really helpful to stick to a convention.

The point I was picking up in the earlier post was the reference to blue with white on pin 3 and orange with white on pin 5, which I would find very confusing.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:39 pm   #46
Station X

The "official" line is here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page;-

https://www.vintage-radio.info/data

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread