UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 1st Feb 2024, 8:10 am   #21
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV stereogram model 2032 help needed

I have a similar HMV Stereomaster (model 2401) unit to yours, albeit with VHF stereo radio added. Here's the link to my restoration thread, which you might find informative:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=92669
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2024, 8:34 am   #22
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1961 View Post
.......I guess he added the capacitors on the mains switch - I can't see those on the circuit diagram either. I wish he was still around to ask why!! What purpose would these mods be for does anyone think?
They serve to reduce mains borne interference, which might otherwise be heard as pops or clicks through the speakers.
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2024, 1:01 pm   #23
Stephen1961
Diode

Thank you for the tips and safety advice. I presume the capacitors added across the mains input would have been to reduce mains noise. One of the additions I do know my father made was to add a headphone socket switch box which sat below the stereogram. It was broken and I removed it when I took the chassis out. I wonder if there was an unacceptable hum whilst listening through headphones and this was why he added the capacitors. Can't really think of why the he should have put them in?
Stephen1961 is offline   Reply With Quote