UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2006, 9:54 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Question Noisy Bush TR82C.

Having read a post from another enthusiast about one of these sets which was noisy on long wave, I was prompted to write about my own set. The audio stage is noisy - white noise, at a fairly low level, irrespective of the band or the setting of the volume control - but otherwise the set is fine and in daily use.

It reminds me of one of my old home brew audio projects, which hissed like mad until I cured it by wiring several hundred microfarads straight across the PP9 battery. Before I try this, does anyone have any other suggestions? Are the output transistors in the TR82 prone to this problem?

Thanks,
Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:08 pm.
Old 4th Feb 2006, 10:22 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Another noisy TR82C

Hi Phil, I've had problems with resistor noise like this, it was due to those resisrors that are pcb mounting and appear to have crimped on end caps. They are a cheap part so is all else fails change the R's.

HTH Ed
Old 4th Feb 2006, 11:20 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ
Having read a post from another enthusiast about one of these sets which was noisy on long wave, I was prompted to write about my own set. The audio stage is noisy - white noise, at a fairly low level, irrespective of the band or the setting of the volume control
Hi Phil. These sets use Germanium transistors. Take my word for it...they hiss at low level. Germanium transistors are noisey compared to silicon. Even if you change the transistors for brand new Germaniums it will still hiss. It should not be annoying...in other words you should not hear it above the music or speech even at low volume level. Mine and others I have repaired all hiss to the same degree...thats the way they are.

Rich.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 12:45 am   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thumbs up Re: Another noisy TR82C

Thanks, Ed and Richard. You're right, the authentic germanium hiss is only noticeable at very low listening levels and I therefore propose to leave well alone!

Regards,

Phil

Old 7th Feb 2006, 9:12 pm   #5
Ian G4HJM
Retired Dormant Member

I had a similar problem on my Dynatron Nomad transistor portable. Replacement of the first AF transistor (with an OC70) cured the hiss completely.

regards
Ian
Old 8th Feb 2006, 12:12 am   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for the tip, Ian, I'll bear it in mind for when the back next comes off the TR82C.

The set belonged to my wife's late grandmother and I inherited it and restored it (nothing more than a good clean, really - it was filthy) in the year 2000. It gets no more than a few moments use each day. I'm sure the battery is the same one I fitted in 2000!

Regards and 73,

Phil

Old 22nd Apr 2006, 10:42 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

My wife's early version TR82C has a crackle present at switch on(both bands) but clears a few minutes after switch on. Does the team think this could be resistor noise ?
Actually the whole set could do with an overhaul, it sounds slightly distorted, the volume control crackles when operated and the tone control doesn't.
I don't think the insides have been touched since '59!
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 10:25 am   #8
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have lots of TR82s and they all hiss at low volume .... part of their charm
I just turn the volume up ....

Howard
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 10:03 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Post Re: Another noisy TR82C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
My wife's early version TR82C has a crackle present at switch on(both bands) but clears a few minutes after switch on. Does the team think this could be resistor noise ?
Actually the whole set could do with an overhaul, it sounds slightly distorted, the volume control crackles when operated and the tone control doesn't.
I don't think the insides have been touched since '59!
Tim, as the crackle is present when adjusting the volume control, the pot itself could be passing DC. Check C29 and C30, particularly C29 which is an 8uF electrolytic and could be leaky.

For distortion, just check whether the distortion disappears when tuned to a weak station. A friend of mine had one of these sets which sounded fine on weak stations but distorted badly on Radio 4 or anything strong. I found that the AGC smoothing capacitor C23 (another 8uF electrolytic) was leaky, shorting out the AGC and causing overloading.

For the tone control, check the control itself plus C35 which could be open circuit. Advancing the control should 'muffle' the audio quite dramatically.

Phil

Closed Thread