UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:10 pm   #1
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Default external power supply for Hacker hunter

Hi,
I want to get an external power supply for my Hacker Hunter - I know it needs 18v but I don't know what kind of pin to look for or any other technical requirements - can anyone advise me or recommend a stockist>
Much obliged
Brendan
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:26 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: external power supply for Hacker hunter

Well I think you mean 18v.

Why don't you get something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225739

And make sure you get it the right way round by the way. -ve to earth (black) and +ve to switch (red).

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:44 pm   #3
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

yes indeed I did mean 18!
much obliged will give Maplin a go.
But I'm sadly techno illiterate and am ashamed to say that I have no idea what "-ve to earth (black) and +ve to switch (red)"means.
I got the Hunter as a 21 present almost 40 years ago - I did have a power source for it but it bust - while it lasted the sound put every hi-tech radio I've ever had to shame!

cheers
brendan
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:54 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

That's why I suggested an expensive PSU. The Hacker sets are good sets and are now eminently collectable.

Take it into Maplin and ask at the parts desk, they'll sort you out.

I was referring to the colours of the wires inside the radio by the way.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:56 pm   #5
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Steve - I'll do as you suggest.
many thanks for your interest
cheers
Brendan
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:58 pm   #6
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Just a quick thought - with the last PSU I had I just plugged it into the socket - wouldn't I do that with this one? If so why would the internal wiring matter.
cheers
Brendan
Old 21st Apr 2009, 7:07 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I have to disagree with Steve this time - apart from costing about £30 more than there's any point in your spending, a 90 watt power supply is something of a liability in the instance of a fault causing excess current drain and could cause a lot more damage to the set than need happen, unless additional fuse protection were installed. Something more like this http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/psk3...ted/dp/PW02351 should do the job perfectly well - the Hunter wouldn't notice that it was running on 15 rather than 18 volts (no particular advantage, I just couldn't immediately find a suitable 18 volt device), and would be under less threat from a sensibly specified mains unit. The only difficult thing with Hackers is the non-standard long bodied DC connector they use, but those can be bought, and fitted by anyone with a soldering iron. Best wait for some advice here from someone using a Hacker set with a mains unit, mine all either have mains supplies built in or are used exclusively with batteries. Assuming the DC input socket on your Hunter is original (earlier Hunters don't have one) the supply needs wiring with the centre pin of the connector negative.

Paul
Old 21st Apr 2009, 7:28 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Something more like this http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/psk3...ted/dp/PW02351 should do the job perfectly well - the Hunter wouldn't notice that it was running on 15 rather than 18 volts (no particular advantage, I just couldn't immediately find a suitable 18 volt device), and would be under less threat from a sensibly specified mains unit.
From a now-deleted (?) thread about powering Hackers from a plug-in "wall-wart" mains adaptor:

Quote:
For future reference, the CPC order codes for 18V plug-in regulated power units are PW00506 for the 200mA version and PW00183 for the 400mA one.

Note that others have advocated using redundant unregulated 12V-15V DC power units, as these often have an output voltage of near-enough 18V when lightly loaded.
Nick.

Old 21st Apr 2009, 7:36 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, those CPC units should be good too: though for the record the newly listed model I linked to (PW02351) is rated at 15V 1A regulated and at £6.87 plus VAT provides a cheaper and I suspect equally good option. Hacker sets were designed to continue working very well as battery voltage fell, and typically there's little perceptible fall-off in operation even at 12 volts.

Paul
Old 21st Apr 2009, 7:39 pm   #10
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Much obliged to all - I'll mull it all over.
Yes, the DC socket is original
cheers
Brendan
Old 21st Apr 2009, 9:01 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello Brendan,

I've got a couple of these powering my Hunters although mine came with their plugs already fitted ........

http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/a...questid=381874

They are £17.97 each including VAT and P&P. If you get one, get back to us and we'll make sure you've got the plug put on correctly before you plug it in to your Hunter.

Howard
Old 21st Apr 2009, 9:32 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The 400mA one I referred to above

Mine have worked well for several years now.

Nick.
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 4:40 pm   #13
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Howards, Nick etc - all good stuff which I will follow up.
Cheers
Brendan
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 5:52 pm   #14
brendan
Retired Dormant Member

Nick
Would the plug on the POWERPAX - PSK315-15 - AC ADAPTOR, 15V, 1A REGULATED fit the Hacker (it looks able to go into the recess) or would I need to solder on another one?
Cheers
Brendan
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 6:12 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Brendan,

The honest answer is "I'm not sure" as no-one here has actually got one of these 15V ones, it was just a helpful suggestion from Paul.

On the other hand, Howard seems to say that the 18V one I mentioned has a suitable plug already. I'd also opt for this model as it is a traditional, linear power supply using a heavy transformer, whereas the other one seems to be a switch-mode unit, which can create interference on the AM bands if you're unlucky.

So probably best to go for the 18V one, CPC part number PW00183, http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/a...questid=381874

Nick.
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 6:36 pm   #16
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
On the other hand, Howard seems to say that the 18V one I mentioned has a suitable plug already. I'd also opt for this model as it is a traditional, linear power supply using a heavy transformer, whereas the other one seems to be a switch-mode unit, which can create interference on the AM bands if you're unlucky.
Ah yes, I hadn't noticed the weight of the 15 volt supply (0.13 kg), which as you say would probably indicate switch-mode. Looks as though the Stontronics one comes with a rack of six alternative connectors, any of which can be used with either polarity and thus very easily reversed: which is fine if one of them does fit reasonably well, as a way could doubtless be found to attach the appropriate connector a little more permanently

Paul
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 6:39 pm   #17
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Oul,
Once I've sorted the right connector I usually put a bit of shrink fit round the joint.
Alan
Closed Thread