UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:49 am   #1
Christoffrad
Hexode

Default Sony KV-32FX60U

Before I send this old trinitron to the skip I thought it worth seeking ideas in case there's a simple fix.
This set has been showing faint flyback lines for some time and picture is not as bright as it was but the main problem that has occurred is that for the first 15mins the picture brightness and colour is unstable. It is fine one moment then suddenly goes bright white or red or blue (never green). After a couple of seconds it then achieves correct operation for a short while (perhaps 10 seconds or so). It seems to lose lock mostly at picture content changes but not always, and the problem reduces over time and stabilizes completely after about 15 mins. I wondered if this is something to do with locking to the colour burst. I'm feeding it from a set-top box but it is not the fault of the box as I've tried an alternative.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 2:58 am   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony KV-32FX60U

Together with the faint flyback lines, this seems more like a drive or tube issue to me then a decoder issue. If no loose contacts around the CRT socket are found, nor in the G2 or focus circuits, I would suspect the tube.

A couple of pictures could also shed some more light on this problem.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 1:26 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I tend to agree. Though as the 32" Trinitron tube is quite reliable it would be worth checking the A1 (G2) setting and adjusting it slightly when cold to get rid of the flyback lines. However, dry joints are extremely common on the RGB transistors on the CRT base so before doing anything I'd resolder these and you may find the fault disappears.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 9:43 pm   #4
Christoffrad
Hexode

Thank you both for your replies. After hoovering out all the dust this set now works again! the flyback lines remain so, Welsh anorack, as I don't have the service documantation where will I find the A1 (G2) adjustment?

Chris
Old 28th Oct 2019, 10:12 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

It's a Sony - so resolder, resolder and resolder some more. Check the tube base panel, consider removing and refitting it to give the CRT pins a clean.
Closed Thread