UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2018, 4:26 pm   #1
nebogipfel
Pentode

Default Hacker RP38 Hunter antenna

Hello all,

I know this is not a terribly original query ....I am finally getting on with my Hunter but have stumbled somewhat on the broken telescopic antenna. I have some from other Hacker sets but they are all too long. The suggestion used to be pop along to Maplin but that's no longer a solution. I'm not looking for authenticity, just a sensible antenna to do the job. There is a myriad on Ebay but I can't see one which will do the job.

Has anyone replaced one recently and/or suggest a suitable replacement.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 5:14 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Hacker rp38 Hunter antenna

Hi John

I have had the same dilemma. I did manage to find an aerial that fitted although it is a little short so won't sit in the amplifier grommet but its held by a 'P' clip so that shouldn't matter. No swivel joint and a bit flimsy but it will do. I think they were £3.99. Just search 10 section telescopic antenna and it should bring you a few hits. They are from China so expect a long wait. Fully extended its 1.15m from base to tip. Longer than the Hunter but that shouldn't make a lot of difference. If you get stuck then let me know.

Regards

Graham
Old 29th Aug 2018, 5:18 pm   #3
nebogipfel
Pentode

Thanks for the speedy reply Graham. I'll have a look.

Edit; Just had a look and if I'm looking at the right thing they are now under £2.

Last edited by nebogipfel; 29th Aug 2018 at 5:27 pm. Reason: Additional response
Old 29th Aug 2018, 5:58 pm   #4
john.north
Pentode

Hello,
I got three from RadioShack at St Anne’s Blackpool.
They are Roberts dab items, shorter than the original but secured by the p clip they work fine. 9mm diameter and 160mm length nine section with swivel knuckle. Extended near as makes no difference to original hunter. Not cheap but if you want a swivel.
John.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 8:01 pm   #5
nebogipfel
Pentode

Thanks John. I don't think we have any RadioShack branches near me. To be honest I thought they'd all gone.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 9:03 pm   #6
john.north
Pentode

Default Re: Hacker RP38 Hunter antenna

Hello,
There are two left, St annnes and Preston I think. Worth a phone call.
John.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 9:59 pm   #7
tim.norris
Hexode

I was in the St Annes branch last week , St annes is the jewel on the Lancashre coast ,never gave the aerials a thought as i was looking through the capacitors etc . will have a look next time we are there , thanks for the heads up .
regards, Tim.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 10:25 pm   #8
nebogipfel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.north View Post
Hello,
There are two left, St annnes and Preston I think. Worth a phone call.
John.
Thanks John, I've got more things to sort out so I've ordered some from Ebay as Graham suggested. If they do the job they will be a bit if a snip at £1.71.