UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:26 am   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Transistor data please

Hello,

I have a few of the transistors shown in the pic. It is marked as "XK1096" and "ITT7009". I have a similar type marked "ITT7008". They are the same size and packaging as a BC107/108/109. Obviously made by ITT. Can anyone identify the type and ideally offer a datasheet? Mr Google only comes up with a plastic packaged MOSFET which clearly isn't it.

Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XK1096 transistor.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	168170  
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:34 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Transistor data please

XK1096 is an NPN, and was used as an audio driver in some TV receivers:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...UK-1978-08.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:36 am   #3
paulsherwin

Those are probably house codes.

Some manufacturers liked to source transistors with such codes for no obvious reason. There's a good chance that they are BC108 class types but they could be anything. You can often work out what they're likely to be from the circuit, but if you just have the transistors in isolation then you're a bit stuck. All you can do without fancy test gear is work out whether they're Si or Ge, NPN or PNP and measure the hfe.

I have a quantity of Motorola transistors marked with a meaningless house code. They measure like BC548s so that's how I use them, though only in undemanding applications.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:48 am   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hello Paul & Lawrence, many thanks for a quick answer. I'll have a careful prod with the Avo and compare with a BC108.

Cheers, Jerry
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:50 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The CCCT comes in handy at times.

[Cheap Chinese Component Tester]
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:08 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It will save a lot of faffing about if you have one, but it won't measure the ft or voltage and current ratings, which are important parameters.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 2:04 pm   #7
cathoderay57
Nonode

Thanks again for the follow-ups. Avo confirms it's NPN with a forward base-emitter dc resistance identical to BC108. For the purposes I'm likely to use it for, that's good enough to try in circuit. Cheers, Jerry
Old 27th Aug 2018, 2:11 pm   #8
paulsherwin

If you have any sort of DMM it's likely to have an hfe test function, which you can use to assess the gain.
Closed Thread