UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2016, 5:48 pm   #1
YoungManGW
Hexode

Default Radio Rentals 797Y

Does anyone know please whether the above set was manufactured by Ekco for Radio Rentals? Many thanks.

Regards,
Richard
Old 28th Oct 2016, 6:44 pm   #2
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Default Re: Radio Rentals 797Y

Hi Richard,
I would think that this set was made by Ekco for RR, most of their sets of this period were. I have an 897 which has a very similar cabinet and the same scale card except there is a magic eye in the top right corner and a waveband indicator on the left. My grandfather had a 897 when I was a boy which he rented in 1937 and later purchased outright. He was told by the RR salesman when he signed the rental agreement that they were made by Ekco.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 29th Oct 2016, 10:24 am   #3
YoungManGW
Hexode

Thanks Trevor.
Regards,
Richard
Old 1st Nov 2016, 12:27 pm   #4
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifocaltrev View Post
I would think that this set was made by Ekco for RR, most of their sets of this period were.
I believe some of the early 797 chassis's were made by K.B. However K.B. apparently suffered from quality control problems (as related by the late G. Wells), so most of the chassis's were made by Ekco. Reliability is obviously a major priority for a rental firm responsible for service and maintenance of the sets.

John.
Closed Thread