UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2019, 10:02 am   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Crumbly RS capacitors.

That triangular logo was certainly used by Matsushita/Panasonic. I can't remember whether "native" Panasonic electrolytics used that colour scheme at the time (I don't think so), but it is the same as that used by the Dubilier electrolytics that were previously supplied by RS with their logo in place of the Dubilier brand.

Perhaps the Matsushita/Panasonic executives had sufficient clout to enforce supplementing the RS logo with their own to distinguish them from these previous similar Dubilier components?

Edit; It may even be that these latter-day Dubilier-brand capacitors were themselves re-badged Matsushita/Panasonics, perhaps the colour scheme did originate with them after all. Such is the machination of global supply!

Last edited by turretslug; 15th Aug 2019 at 10:08 am.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 12:25 pm   #22
dazzlevision
Dekatron

My new old stock.

Insulation resistance 4MOhms at 250Vdc. Capacitance 1.15 uF.

“For display purposes only”!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2241A9A5-864F-4290-8EA9-FA40BF045E37.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	188360  
Old 15th Aug 2019, 12:31 pm   #23
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Dubilier and Matsushita co-branded electrolytic, from 1981.

By that time, Dubilier (the UK company) seemed to be just a component supplier, but also owned Greenpar Connectors of Harlow and Kenneth E Beswick (of “Alert” branded fuses fame) of Frome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F11BCBC-96A8-466F-B779-79236D84AF97.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	188361   Click image for larger version

Name:	16F4F8D8-943C-4FD1-9744-59985EE7D02F.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	188362  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 15th Aug 2019 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Added text.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 2:31 pm   #24
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I bought my bench PSU from RS many years ago and under the sticker it says Thandar. No bad thing as it's still going strong.
However I was dismayed to see Multicomp capacitors (the ones with the diamond logo) under the 'RS Pro' banner. We bought some by mistake insted of our usual Panasonics, and after one failure measured the ESR on the remainder. They were all far too high, and ended up in the bin.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 2:59 pm   #25
julie_m
Dekatron

That's a Matsushita logo visible on the upper one, so yes.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 4:07 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Some Dubilier and Radio Spares mixed dielectric capacitors look remarkably similar, maybe a Dubilier/RS connection for the ones in the OP's photo's?

Lawrence.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 7:06 pm   #27
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Some Dubilier and Radio Spares mixed dielectric capacitors look remarkably similar, maybe a Dubilier/RS connection for the ones in the OP's photo's?

Lawrence.
Dubilier made the Radiospares mixed dielectric capacitors for many years. The RS ones were all grey for many years but then changed to white, until they were replaced by those yellow polypropylene film types..
Old 15th Aug 2019, 7:11 pm   #28
ms660
Dekatron

I remember those mixed dielectric capacitors in TV's, SC ones.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 7:20 pm   #29
McMurdo
Dekatron

I steer clear of Multicomp capacitors, it's actually Farnell's equivalent of RS-Pro, but I do know like RS, Farnell source multicomp capacitors from more than one supplier. RS-Pro capacitors come branded as Jack-con, I dont use them in smpsu applications but have found them fine in conventional power supplies.

The lilac capacitors from RS seem to come (did come) in 2 different shades; those that resembled Dubilier and those that resembled Matsushita. I did wonder if they were connected in any way apart from the lilac colour!

Farnell later stocked the matsushita caps but in blue, and Maplin stocked the dubilier ones in red and dark violet.

I sometimes buy Dubilier from Mouser but these days they are known as CDE.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 8:14 pm   #30
whiskas
Octode

Yes I've seen many of those grey caps in a bad way. Replace on sight for sure.
The later grey plastic moulded RS caps were better.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 8:44 pm   #31
vidjoman
Dekatron

In many American jukeboxes there are Cornell Dubilier caps and usually pale green. I’ve found a few faulty ones but usually because of where they were fitted next to a high heat source. Most are 50/60 years old and still in good condition. I guess that the CDE caps are the current manufacturers version.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 9:07 pm   #32
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I steer clear of Multicomp capacitors, it's actually Farnell's equivalent of RS-Pro, but I do know like RS, Farnell source multicomp capacitors from more than one supplier. RS-Pro capacitors come branded as Jack-con, I dont use them in smpsu applications but have found them fine in conventional power supplies.

The lilac capacitors from RS seem to come (did come) in 2 different shades; those that resembled Dubilier and those that resembled Matsushita. I did wonder if they were connected in any way apart from the lilac colour!

Farnell later stocked the matsushita caps but in blue, and Maplin stocked the dubilier ones in red and dark violet.

I sometimes buy Dubilier from Mouser but these days they are known as CDE.
Any experience of Wurth caps ? I don't think they have doing them long , traditionally they have been mainly an inductor manufacturer. They do an interesting range of Aluminium Organic Polymer Capacitors that use solid electrolyte so don't dry out.

https://www.we-online.com/web/en/pas...ion_105536.php
Old 15th Aug 2019, 9:09 pm   #33
dazzlevision
Dekatron

CDE - Cornell Dubilier Electronics is a different company based in North America. The British Dubilier company (Dubilier Condenser Company) was probably established by “Mr Dubilier” in the early 20th century, but apart from that, was a separate entity. The same applies to the separate USA and UK Westinghouse companies, originally established by George Westinghouse (an American).
Old 15th Aug 2019, 10:05 pm   #34
McMurdo
Dekatron

William Dubilier of the Dubilier Condenser Company of New York. For his contribution to war work, after the first world war he was offered an honorary knighthood by the UK which he declined to accept.
The british arm of dubilier no longer exists, the present incarnation makes filters and parts for aerospace and the military. The brand name Dubilier is now owned by Abacus. If you want genuine dubilier electrolytics it's CDE or nobody!
Wikipedia has a little on the man in question, he died in 1969 in Palm Beach.