UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2019, 1:43 am   #221
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

I’m glad you were joking as it’d be just my luck i’d lift one side of the set up to wedge some cardboard underneath and the set would slide off the cabinet onto the floor. (Im only joking, too)

I don’t want to mess the set up again, but i am slightly OCD so the wonky-ness does annoy me quite a bit. Wouldn’t it be okay though if i were to mark the pots and then adjust the yoke as the set is self convergence as it’s a PIL set.

If theres a chance of really messing it up then i can live with the angle, but i’d much rather straighten it out.

Thanks
Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:13 pm   #222
Station X

39 posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=154067

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 10:01 am   #223
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Leave it alone! It's great. John.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 3:05 pm   #224
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Leave it alone! It's great. John.
I will do, and have done!

I was just thinking, it wouldnt have really been a problem in the 70s as TV was broadcast in 4:3, and when the TV does show a full screen picture, you wouldn’t notice the wonkiness, along comes 16:9 and you get black bars at the top and bottom - thats when you see it!

Thanks
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:17 pm   #225
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Don't forget that before the advent of 24 hour TV, the test-card would be shown on one or more channels for much of the day, and some of our customers seemed to have nothing better to do than watch for the slightest imperfections.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:28 pm   #226
19Seventy7
Octode

Never gave that a thought, though when watching TV, you usually forget about the imperfections - I do anyway

Thanks
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:39 am   #227
Sideband
Dekatron

Dare I mention....some TV's had a 'service mode' and within that menu was an adjustment for 'tilt'....thinking Philips TV's here but Hitachi and others did a similar thing. IF a service mode is available on your set it will either be shorting two particular 'service pins' together or accessible via a service remote or by pressing a certain sequence of buttons.

The method of access would only be given in the service manual. Note also that 'tilt' adjustment was not always possible in service mode.....it depends on the model and how 'upmarket' it was. If such a service mode is available, extreme caution must be used since incorrect adjustments may be detrimental of even damaging.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:55 pm   #228
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Dare I mention....some TV's had a 'service mode' a
Yes, but Aaron's set is too early for that.

Also I don't think it was impossible not do to do damage using service mode with those sets those sets had it, I can't think of an example with a TV, but I had a Canon camcorder where entering the service mode was done purely from the remote control, and it was possible to make the on-screen display go blank and effectively lock you out. I was careful not to store the result, but it occurred to me a person with nefarious intent, could have easily bricked the Canon camcorders in Currys window, without even leaving their car.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 11:37 pm   #229
AC/HL
Dekatron

Reopened by request
Old 6th Aug 2020, 11:46 pm   #230
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for reopening.

The set's still working well after its repair (Watch me jinx it now) but I've got a quick question about it.

The contrast on the set seems quite poor, only giving me good contrast if the brightness and contrast controls are both maxed out. The CRT still gives a really bright picture with the controls around halfway and there's no symptoms of a dying tube (i.e. flaring colours) although it's expected with age for the tube to be going flat now.

Is it possible that there's a fault in the circuitry of the set, rather than being a tube problem? My first guess would've been the tube but as I've said, there's no other symptoms of a dying tube. Perhaps these sets weren't the best at contrast?

Edit: Should add that it's fine on lighter scenes and darks work well, but when there's more dark than light, it tends to look poor.

The grey scale on the test card shows it in the bottom 2 sections, the colour isn't that high either, it's just my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCFH.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	212881  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 6th Aug 2020 at 11:56 pm.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:36 am   #231
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

You just need a touch more brightness.

Somewhere on this long thread didn't we discuss the A1 or "screen" adjustment?

You just need to turn it slightly until the bottom grey-scale square is just illuminated.
Don't turn it much more than that, or you'll get undesirable flyback lines.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 2:22 am   #232
19Seventy7
Octode

Aha, that never crossed my mind, I did wonder if the LOPT would've had a brightness control on it like some sets I've seen, but then I think they're newer than this set. Seems simple now you've said

I'll give it a shot later on in the day.

Thanks for the help
'77
Closed Thread