UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2011, 4:24 pm   #1
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default A free source of valve data

A quick search through the forum for valve data throws up a lot of results which, on examination, usually refer to requests for data, substitutes, etc., for an individual valve.

I did find one link to a pdf of data but, alas, the link is broken.

However, I stumbled on a useful tool yesterday that, I hope, many will find useful.

It is the Tube Data Sheet Locator which you download and gives you instant access to pin connections, equivalents and brief data for a wide range of valves. In addition, it provides download links for full data sheets which can be downloaded without the need to sift through search engine results.

It provides these links for all valves, as far as I can see, even if there is no other data in the internal database so, within the limits of your internet download speed, you can still have all the data you need, virtually, at your fingertips.

It also includes a parametric search, which I haven't tried, which finds a valve that matches data you supply!

Although it says it is "it is intended to be of interest to amplifier technicians, amp modifiers, hobbyists and students" it covers radio and TV valves equally well.

I threw a couple of oddities at it that sprang to mind and it came up trumps!

Out of interest, I looked up the valve complement of the Bush TV24 to see what happened.

Unless otherwise stated, Pinouts, Substitutes, Ratings & Short data were available.

EB91 Data sheet links only: 18 for identical or similar types
ECL80 7 data sheet
links + 2 for equivalents
EF80 12 data sheet
links + 6 for equivalents
EF91 No max ratings but 8 data sheet
links + 8 for equivalents and 9 for similar types
PL33 No substitutes, 1 data sheet
link
PL38 No substitutes or pinout but 1 data sheet link
PZ30 No substitutes or pinout but 3 data sheet link

Do try it - did I say it is free?

You can download it here.

Terry
Old 20th Feb 2011, 6:55 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: A free source of valve data

Longstanding forum members will know the Duncan Amps website well. It's a very useful resource.

The standalone TDSL app is great for anyone without broadband web access, but otherwise I find it simpler to just use the web interface: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

Incidentally, although TDSL is a Windows app it runs quite well on Linux systems using Wine.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 2:56 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

TDSL is very useful, but sometimes misses equivalents or gets them only one way round.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 3:09 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I always check the National Valve Museum link from the TDSL data, which often gives different and additional equivalents. I suppose different people have different ideas about what constitutes equivalence.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 8:17 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, every source of data has info missing or wrong so comparing them is wise.
Closed Thread