UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2018, 6:48 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default QSL cards

When searching for KB radios on the popular online auction site I often get results for QSL cards.

What sort of people actually buy these, is it some sort of boast to be able to show you have a particular QSL card from a far off location.

I wonder if they do even sell.

Mike
Old 17th Oct 2018, 7:00 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: QSL cards

Amateurs with an interest the history of amateur radio collect them.

Postcard collectors have also been known to collect them, especially if they are from interesting places or no longer existing places.

Price wise, usually in the $10 - $20 range, with common ones lower and rare ones much higher. They have been known to top $1000.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 5:09 pm   #3
Junk Box Nick
Octode

People collect stamps, post cards, beer mats and, um, even vintage radios , so why not QSL cards? I have received some fabulous ones that must have cost a small fortune to produce in a time when many run of the mill ones were still printed letterpress. They all relate to my amateur/SWL operations which of course do make them special to me. This has reminded me that perhaps I ought to get some of them out of the box and perhaps make a framed display. (Another job for the round tuit pile... ?)
Old 17th Oct 2018, 6:06 pm   #4
Jolly 7
Octode

The thrill of receiving a QSL card from radio stations you would never expect to hear normally is best appreciated by those who are in the hobby of DXing. In some instances and in the right conditions, no special setup is required. Probably my best DX catch was Radio Luxembourg on MW, heard on a winter's night in India on a simple superhet radio with analog tuning and only the built-in ferrite antenna. I still have the QSL card.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 6:37 pm   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

I also have a small collection of QSL Cards and Eyeball cards (CB Equivalent).
Its like anything you enjoy the satisfaction of receiving and collecting them.
I used to collect Phonecards and spent a few pounds on them back in the day.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 9:28 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've got a collection of precisely one. Somewhere.

An early card from G5YC turned up on Ebay- I was chairman of that club in 1973/4 (unfortunately it is no more, though the callsign is (was?) held by its last chairman some years ago), so nostalgia struck and a few £s changed hands.

I may also have one of the club's 1970s cards with a cartoon of the aerials on top of a skyscraper (they were about 200' AGL in South Kensington) but that wasn't collected, just lurking in some old paperwork in the wardrobe.

73 de G8GVO.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Oct 2018, 2:18 pm   #7
newlite4
Octode

I bought a collection of around 20 QSL cards mounted in a wall pocket type thing for £10 at the car boot a few years ago, I fixed it to the kitchen door, looks nice.
Neil