UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2008, 11:32 am   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Premier style Kit Radio

Can anyone give any opinions on the chances of building a "Premier/Barton" style kit radio?

I have a chassis, tuning dial & case (thanks oldjohn60) which I would like to do something with.

The thing that worries me is the variable tuning capacitor. I've seen some listed on the auction sites, but not understanding how they work, being a simple mechanical engineer, I'm at a loss.

What do you think?
Old 17th Oct 2008, 12:23 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Premier style Kit Radio

The capacitor is not that critical - especially in these simple type sets. It's more than likely that one of us will have something suitable lurking in the bits box.

Regards,
Old 18th Oct 2008, 7:50 am   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

The wound components are going to be the main headache, unless you have a Aeriel and detector coil available for the TRF.
Any thoughts on the types of valve to use? those sets used some very strange combinations out of whatever was available at the time as surplus.
Old 18th Oct 2008, 8:48 pm   #4
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

I hadn't got quite as far as working out the components needed as yet. In a fit of madness I bought a job lot of valves from eBay so there may be something there which either a) is suitable & b) works.

I'd thought of cannibalising an existing chassis to provide parts, essentially rehousing an existing radio, rechassising if needs be if it doesn't fit into the case as is.

I've downloaded the Barton kit instructions from Paul's website and was going to use this as the basis for the radio, so it would be a superhet design. I also have a period Premier kit radio to act as a template if the project is feasable.

I had thought that the bits would be available from either eB** or from other forum members, hence the origin of the post on the feasability of building such a reciever.

It's probably going to be a long term project, as I've just picked up an Ekco A104 & I'm due to pick up a heavily bu*****d Deco style Philco set, which I fear may keep me in sleepless nights and bald patches for quite a while!! Oh, and the cosmetic smartening of several working Roberts transistor sets, the case restoration of both of my Pilot Little Maestro's...... The list goes on etc.
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:27 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

If the chassis is punched for Octal bases you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting a 6K7, 6K7, 6Q7 & 6V6's are everywhere. You could also use a ECH35, EF39 and EBC33, but I am not sure if these are close enough equivalents of the American valves to mix n match the two ranges. The EBC33 triode section has less gain than the 6Q7.
You could be really awkward and use CV1510 as output valve or a ATP4, which are on B9G or Mazda Octal bases respectively.
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:36 pm   #6
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Aha. I need then to measure the holes and post on the forum then. The valves I bought (although not received as yet) are a right mixture. For example EBF80, 6KG7, EBC33, 6K8GT etc.

Failing that I could always get a bare chassis and start totally from scratch.
Old 19th Oct 2008, 6:28 am   #7
Neil Purling
Nonode

Well, you've got enough valves for the mixer/osc and IF strip. All you need is an audio o/p valve. I'd go for a 6V6 as they are pretty easily available because they are used in guitar amps.
If you measure the holes in the chassis they will be just over 1" diameter for Octal bases.
If the chassis is for a superhet there should be other holes drilled for the IF cans.
A photo and the measurement should help us.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 10:51 am   #8
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

The hole sizes in the chassis are - 1 3/16", 1 1/4" & 1".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn1046.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	20733  
Old 21st Oct 2008, 11:16 am   #9
Neil Purling
Nonode

I am looking at the attached image and it seems clear that this was a built, or part-built effort that has subsequently been stripped.
You can see where the various components have preserved the original plated steel.
This is for Octal valve bases, which is no surprise really. It is only in the output stage you are likely to find the use of unusual valves. I don't suppose you are likely to use a CV1510 or ATP4 are you? The former is B9G, the latter is Mazda Octal. Stick with a 6V6
and you have a really common series of valves.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 11:39 am   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Just to be a little perverse, why not use TV valves - PZ30 rectifier, PL33 output valve, and a selection of smaller valves for the RF line up?

Might be a bit different.....
Old 21st Oct 2008, 12:36 pm   #11
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

TV valves sounds an interesting proposition. I'm going to be getting a job lot of used valves from eBay, the majority of which seem to be of TV origin, PY 82,PL84, PCC84 etc. If someone could let me know the valves which would be suitable I could work out what I have available.

I was going to post a query regarding TV valves and their alternative uses.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 12:44 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
I was going to post a query regarding TV valves and their alternative uses.
Here's a first contribution that can be added to the new thread when it arrives:

LOP valves make good and rugged audio output valves, some with substantial power capability. Some types, notably EL509, have found favour with the audiophools. Rectifiers will rectify You'd be a bit mad to use boost diodes as ordinary rectifiers but they would work OK if you can tolerate the high heater power and long warmup time.
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 9:14 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi John, look around for Wearite "P" or Denco coils. you can usually finD aerial and HF types for MW & LW quite cheaply. Let me know and I can probably find you a 500+500pF variable cap.

Ed
Closed Thread