UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2012, 2:15 pm   #1
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Light Scratches on SME Lid

Hello,

I have a Garrard 401 in an SME plinth, all original and in beautiful condition with the exception of some minor scratches on the lid which I’d like to try and remove.

My question is can anybody recommend a polish or buffing agent which will remove these light scratches, I’m not afraid of a little elbow grease. I don’t want to use anything that will make things worse or ‘cloud’ the clear Perspex (I think it’s a Perspex lid?)

Many thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 7th Mar 2012, 2:18 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Light Scratches on SME Lid

Hello Matt,

Nice to see you here again! Replaced that hummy old Murphy with a 401, I see

I would use Greygate Plastic Polish in the glass bottle with orange label. Circa £5 on eBay amongst other places.

Obviously, try a bit in an inconspicuous corner initially.

Nick.
Old 7th Mar 2012, 9:38 pm   #3
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,

It's sure been a while since my last post mainly because all's been well on the Murphy front.

However I turned 30 last year and decided to treat myself to a Garrard 401 with an SME 3012 arm, housed in a very attractive SME plinth. I have it running on a Musical Fidelity X-150 amp with a pair of TDL transmission speakers, so the whole thing has an age to it but sounds great.

Thanks for your suggestion, will give it a try!

Best wishes,

Matt
Old 7th Mar 2012, 11:16 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

There's a polish designed for mobile phone screens called Displex which works well on most plastics, also good for restoring scratched CD/DVD's.

Kev
Closed Thread