UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2012, 5:26 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Roberts R200 battery tray

I bought an R200 at the boot sale on Sunday. Knobs, handle, scale and case all in good condition. I was however astonished by the level of scaly rust on the battery tray with not one area free of rust. The rust had even begun to migrate onto the surrounding areas of the main chassis. Because the tray has such pronounced "lumpy" rust, I am considering replacing it entirely. I have already removed the tray and will grind off the rust from the main chassis. How is it possible for rust to migrate in this manner? It is as if rust spores have been transferred to the sound areas somehow.
Neil
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 5:33 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Roberts R200 battery tray

Isn't the rust the result of corrosive battery fluids eating through the protective plating and the leaving unprotected metal exposed?

Ron
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 5:40 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Roberts R200 battery tray

Yes, most likely Ron, possibly some vapour as well allowing it to spread so easily.
Neil