UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2012, 2:59 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Fixing Ekco AD65 chrome bars

How were the bars originally fixed in the case?

Cheers John.
Old 21st Jan 2012, 3:10 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Fixing Ekco AD65 chrome bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
How were the bars originally fixed in the case?
That's a good question John.

Obviously as you will be aware, with the brown bakelite set the three bars are also made of bakelite and are part of the overall case moulding.

I've no idea how Ekco fitted the chromed metal bars though. I assume they are secured in slots in the bakelite, maybe with small screws from the back as well?

Does a close examination of your black bakelite case reveal anything in that regard, any slots/fixing holes?

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Jan 2012, 3:30 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Robert, I dont have a black AD65, What I did have was a brown AD65 3D jigsaw. After an awful lot of glue I decided the easy way was to paint the whole case black, then I realised the bars should be chrome. I had an idear that they were wired in. If they were screwed in would heat cause the bars to expand and crack the case?

John.
Old 21st Jan 2012, 6:11 pm   #4
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
I dont have a black AD65, What I did have was a brown AD65 3D jigsaw. After an awfull lot of glue I decided the easy way was to paint the whole case black...
OK, I made the wrong assumption what with making you a light background reproduction dial for a black set a while back and then your more recent request for the chrome type of speaker bars.

I fully understand your decision to paint the case to hide the repaired cracks, but didn't you consider painting it brown rather than black? Its a little late in the day to be changing the colour now, but it would have saved you all the hassle of obtaining or making all the various bits of chrome brightwork found on an original black bakelite AD65. Then if broken, you could have replaced the original brown bakelite speaker bars in a similar fashion to the way I went about it in with an Ekco AD75 in this thread;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=46333

Quote:
I had an idear that they were wired in. If they were screwed in would heat cause the bars to expand and crack the case.
That's also a possibility, like I said earlier I don't know for sure how they are fixed as I've only seen images of black/chrome AD65's. My thoughts on the bars being secured by small screws was based on the fact the semi-circular dial bar is fixed by this method. This bar should also be chrome on the black set, have you already got one of those then?

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Jan 2012, 7:34 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's a different model but if you look at the bottom image here, there appears to be small screw holes through the bakelite for attaching the chromed bars. I borrowed the image and blew it up on my PC to see what look like the holes.

I would've assumed that, for economy reasons, the same mould would've been used for the brown and black versions; the chromed bars being channel section and fitting over the bakelite bars of the black versions. Obviously not though.
Closed Thread