UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2008, 3:12 pm   #1
350i
Triode

Default Red / Green Toaster Speaker Cloth

Just restored one of these and I thought I'd mention this for anyone else with a red or green KB toaster on the 'to do' pile. The cloth on these is some kind of natural material, something along the lines of sea grass, with a black thread weaved through it and it seems a favourite among moths etc.
A passable copy can be made by using a patch of white cross-stitch cloth (no. 18 count) which can be bought cheaply on ebay. Using a thick black thread (I used Anchor no. 8), alternately stitch across every two holes in the cloth and you should get the exact stitch length. It's very tedious unless you know someone who will do it for you with more experience and patience at this kind of thing, as I fortunately did.
Cheers
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5147.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	16296  
Old 7th Apr 2008, 3:35 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Red / Green Toaster Speaker Cloth

Top job Trevor, the new cloth makes such a dramatic visual difference. I am tempted to spray mine red now after seeing that one .
Neil
Old 7th Apr 2008, 4:22 pm   #3
Top Cap
Octode

Are they all painted or were some of them moulded that colour. A little OT I know but you may have seen an earlier thread of mine where I was asking obo a friend for a possible purchase of a coloured toaster. Had to be original though. I told him they were uncommon and would require a lot of dosh which he seemed quite happy about. Somehow I don't think he will get an offer
Getting back OT I noted that the last toaster I repaired had the usual white cloth on the outside but it was a green colour on the inside. Maybe they reversed the cloth on some models to make them look a bit different?
Les
Old 7th Apr 2008, 5:08 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I don't think the red ones were ever painted... but I've never had one, so Trevor may be able to correct me there! Certainly the tuning scale uses different colours from the standard version, so a cream one couldn't be exactly "converted". As regards the usual set's speaker cloth, my impression was that it had been blue-green but on my example and many another I've seen had faded to an off-white on the exposed side: so mine has been reversed and reattached.

Paul
Old 7th Apr 2008, 10:18 pm   #5
af024
Octode

Hello Trevor,

I must say that's very impressive.

Also, and I didn't know this, but the cloth in the red one is different from that used in the cream one.

You learn something every day.

Nice job for sure.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 7th Apr 2008, 10:21 pm   #6
350i
Triode

Paul is spot on. The red versions at least are a solid colour, I think the green ones are the same. They have red / gold scales and the speaker cloth is completely different.
Regarding the cream ones, the speaker cloth was a fairly deep green colour to match the tuning scale (as seen in the sales literature) but they always seem to be badly faded.
Regards
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7bfa_1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	16299  
Old 7th Apr 2008, 11:53 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Thanks, Trevor, that's interesting: looks as though mine has lost some colour even on the "good" side, and it'll be kept from sunlight now as reversal only works once My imagined hat's certainly raised to you for coming up with what looks a very persuasive replacement of the original cloth on yours.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008_04070004A.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	16302  
Closed Thread