UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2018, 1:55 am   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Pennine Ranger

I have recently acquired a Pennine Ranger, or rather what is left of it. The back panel and speaker are missing and all components have been removed apart from the mains transformer, smoothing capacitor, front controls and the tuning/bandspread capacitors. The mains transformer supplies 250-0-250v, 6.3v and 4v for a rectifier valve. I was going to re-instate the power supply and build an audio amplifier using an EL33 and EBC33, then use the Gram input to play Internet radio or whatever. Then I thought how nice it would be to tune in real radio stations using that lovely Art Deco tuning dial. I have several good working valve radio/radiogram chassis (without cabinets) and thought of carefully transplanting the front end components from one of these to get the Ranger fully operational again. There would be a lot of drilling to do and I wouldn't be concerned about originality, though it would be nice to have International Octal valves. I have plenty of time but can anyone see any pitfalls, or is there a better approach? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_134954_resized.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	165932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_135113_resized.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	165933  

Last edited by martin.m; 12th Jul 2018 at 2:14 am. Reason: Punctuation error
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:53 am   #2
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pennine Ranger

As the set is virtually a cabinet with a ready-built power supply and chassis, I would think your idea of re-constructing another radio on the chassis is a very good way to make the best of two units which are, as they stand, not of great interest or value.
The only possible problem as far as I can see, is the compatability of the tuning gang with the donor parts. The chances are that, it is a standard twin .0005uf one , and if the donor set uses that type (very likely,if it is contemporary to your chassis), it should be not too difficult.
Nice to think it will remain a radio, and not become some kind of gimmicky "amp" or such.
Good luck , I shall watch this with interest! Tony.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:55 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A sad end for an unusual set.
Mine has no long wave due to the oscillator coils being wound on broken ferrite cups, otherwise complete and working.
Graft in an FM tuner with remote control?
Old 12th Jul 2018, 5:11 pm   #4
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you for your replies.
Boxdoctor. Your comments have motivated me to get this radio operational again. In theory, being retired, I should have plenty of time. However my wife prefers me to spend my time doing home decorating and house maintenance (boring) rather than mess about with "junk". I will report on this forum again when the set is back in action.

Sam. Yes, the set looks sad at the moment but I'm confident I can turn it back into a nice valve radio again. I have a 1950s Ferranti radiogram chassis with 6.3v B8A valves which would do as a donor. I may experiment at first to see if this chassis will work with ECH35 and EF39 valves wired into the front end. Octal valves look so much nicer than the smaller ones from the 1950s onward. There is a chap on the Internet who fits digital radio front ends into vintage receivers but I wouldn't go this far myself. Do a search for "dab hand radio" and you will see what I mean.

Regards
Martin
Old 12th Jul 2018, 8:45 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Martin, I may have some parts in the junk box that you can use, coils, IFT's etc.
It would probably pay to build a lash-up first, then transfer to you chassis.

pm me if interested.

Ed
Old 13th Jul 2018, 12:14 am   #6
martin.m
Hexode

Hi Ed
Thanks for the kind offer. I was thinking more of carefully transferring the front end components from a working radiogram chassis that I have. This would include all the relevant coils, IF transformers etc. The chassis is from a 1950s Ferranti model and uses B8A valves. This job probably won't be as straightforward as I think but I will enjoy trying to rescue this unusual radio. It would be nice to just fit a complete chassis into the Ranger's cabinet, but then it would be difficult to retain the original tuning controls. I will start by re-instating the power supply (including valve rectifier) then building an audio amp using an EL33 and EBC33. The diodes in this valve will be needed for the detector circuit.
Thanks again for the offer of help.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by martin.m; 13th Jul 2018 at 12:32 am. Reason: Typo
Old 13th Jul 2018, 1:07 am   #7
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
The service data including a circuit diagram is available here if you haven't got it.
https://www.service-data.com/product...34/5399/e14134
So you could just copy this for the AF stages and power supply.
Yours, Richard
Old 13th Jul 2018, 12:27 pm   #8
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you Richard, this will save me a lot of time and help me to keep the radio as original as possible.

Regards
Martin
Old 14th Jul 2018, 11:33 pm   #9
martin.m
Hexode

I have made a start on the Ranger by varnishing inside the cabinet, fitting a period speaker and re-instating the power supply. No smoke or fireworks when mains was applied to the transformer primary. I now have a circuit diagram and intend to keep the set as original as possible, though the coils and IF transformers will have to come from a donor chassis. This project may take some time and, hopefully, I will be able to make another post about the Ranger in "Success Stories". Thanks to all of you who have given me advice.

Regards
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_195643_resized.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	166063  
Old 15th Jul 2018, 12:46 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

It might be worth trying to determine the capacitance of the tuning gang sections then find out what other receivers use the same....thinking coil matching/tracking/tuning scale accuracy etc.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Jul 2018, 8:50 pm   #11
martin.m
Hexode

Thanks for the advice Lawrence. It does look a little small compared to the tuning gangs on other post war superhet chassis, but the vanes seem closer together. I've no idea how to measure it's value as I don't have any fancy test equipment. Weren't most of them 500 + 500pF?
Old 17th Jul 2018, 8:46 am   #12
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I think the different capacity gangs type made their debut with the appearance of the ferrite rod aerial.
Small testers which test a multitude of characteristics including inductance and capacitance can be found on the net.
A complete "basic board" assembly, which you will have to put into your own casing, can set you back less than a tenner.
I got one - well worth the outlay! Tony.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 8:31 pm   #13
martin.m
Hexode

Thanks for the information. It's time I got more test gear anyway.
Closed Thread