UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2006, 9:50 pm   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Lotus Bandpass 3; wavechange switch bearing.

My 1931 bandpass 3 has a small problem in that the rear bearing on the wavechange switch had seized solid. This is a mega contraption that occupies almost the whole depth of the chassis and the rearmost part of the spindle forms part of the alloy cam casting which operates the on-off toggle. this is the bit which snapped off on disassembly, but a friend is kindly now repairing it for me.

Now the next problem I face is getting the beast refitted. It all came apart easy enough after the spindle had snapped, but there is virtually no clearance to get it all back in. There are but a few wires in the way, but it is all so tight that I might have to drill out the rear tagstip and I would like to avoid this if possible. This must have been the first item on the assembly line. I dont suppose anyone else has had a successful encounter with one of these.

Steve.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Aug 2007 at 8:01 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and general tidying.
Old 20th Jan 2006, 10:24 pm   #2
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Lotus Bandpass 3; wavechange switch bearing.

Problem solved!

With the rear end cam casting sorted, the way to get it all back in is to release the front bearing sleeve from the chassis, retrieve the detent ball from the workshop floor and then the whole shooting match goes in, front (Knob) end first. Still need to flex the back of the chassis a bit though.

Now all that remains is to start restoring the rest of the radio.

Steve.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Aug 2007 at 8:03 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons (again).
Closed Thread