UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2019, 8:39 pm   #1
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default SCART connector

How can I make a SCART connection more reliable? I have a cable between the SKY box and TV which needs wiggling now and again, usually during an interesting program.
Old 4th Aug 2019, 8:58 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: SCART connector

Can't make the pins any longer..is there enough gap between the pins to get an iron in and give them a coat of solder to make them a few thou wider..? Probably not.
I have had several problems like this over the years and it's usually been down to SCART- a good idea badly executed.
Dave
Old 4th Aug 2019, 9:14 pm   #3
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi
Back in the day there was a company that sold a scart cable that locked in .
They were so confident that they used to claim you could support the weight of the vcr by the cable !
Sorry can't remember the make
Cheers Pete
Old 4th Aug 2019, 9:22 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

I use duct tape on the Scart of one of our digiboxes.
Old 4th Aug 2019, 10:20 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

I've had this problem and found that some of the pins have pushed back inside the connector. I've pulled them back out with long nose pliers and carefully reinserted the plug, hoping they stay in place.
Old 4th Aug 2019, 11:29 pm   #6
martin.m
Hexode

I had similar problems with the thick umbilical cord type SCART leads but changed them for flat ribbon cable types with moulded plugs and had no more trouble.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 1:21 pm   #7
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

The bean-counter types who designed the SCART system plug and socket might have done better if the had spent the extra ½ penny per socket more it would have probably cost to fit a simple spring-wire clip along the lines of my rough sketch below.
The ends of the wire would have been permanently hooked into suitable holes in the socket sides.
Push in plug, slide wire clip over the plug until it clicks into locating slot across the top of the plug, and there you have it, as they say !
The arrangement they came up with is a disgrace, IMHO. Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scart.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	187880  
Old 5th Aug 2019, 2:42 pm   #8
yesnaby
Octode

There are so-called 'locking' SCART connectors that have some protrusions that make a better friction fit with the socket. They work pretty well.

For example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-LEA...4AAOSwIylZ1WqJ
Old 5th Aug 2019, 4:49 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
They work pretty well.
...until they yank the socket off the PCB!

Martin's point in post 6 is very valid.

Horrible things which I don't miss though.

N.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 7:16 pm   #10
ionburn
Heptode

I am not sure about the connectors specifically, except for checking the pins re Techman's post above, as I have found that problem with many connectors, but I have noticed quite a difference between very cheap SCART leads and better quality ones as regards picture quality.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 7:37 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As noted, I've found the 'ribbon' type SCART leads to be the most-flexible - these generally avoid the 20-year-ago "the cleaner pushed the Virgin/Sky-box back under the telly and now everything's gone wobblygreen" nonsense.

In the past I actually superglued SCART-plugs in place - it was easier than having to deal with repeated nuisance-calls.

Thankfully these days everyone's gone HDMI or DisplayPort, whose connectors are sanely-engineered and so don't "go partial" on a schedule inspired by the phase of the moon, the cat's birthday and the instantaneous value of the Dow-Jones Index.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:20 pm   #12
Sideband
Dekatron

It's also possible that the scart socket connections have become dry-jointed on the PCB. I had this problem on my 15 year old set some months back. A quick resolder of the sockets cured all the intermitents.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:56 pm   #13
yesnaby
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
As noted, I've found the 'ribbon' type SCART leads to be the most-flexible - these generally avoid the 20-year-ago "the cleaner pushed the Virgin/Sky-box back under the telly and now everything's gone wobblygreen" nonsense.

In the past I actually superglued SCART-plugs in place - it was easier than having to deal with repeated nuisance-calls.

Thankfully these days everyone's gone HDMI or DisplayPort, whose connectors are sanely-engineered and so don't "go partial" on a schedule inspired by the phase of the moon, the cat's birthday and the instantaneous value of the Dow-Jones Index.
Still have SCART here, TV has 2, VCR has 2, never had any trouble with them. There will be a problem though when my TV goes kaput!
Old 5th Aug 2019, 10:58 pm   #14
winston_1
Hexode

I've always thought 25 pin D connectors should have been used. They can be clamped in with 2 screws and 4 spare pins for future proofing. Two of them could have been used for S video (Y/C) instead of the bodge they came up with sharing pins. All history now of course.

Sadly I can't help with thr falling out problem but to also say the ribbon type were much better. Can you still get them I wonder?
Old 5th Aug 2019, 11:05 pm   #15
Richard_FM
Octode

I've got a few devices with SCARTs which haven't caused a problem for a long time.

Some of my cables have the plugs that lock in place.