UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2007, 6:11 pm   #1
dave_n_t
Hexode

Default Software for DIY dials

(Mods: please move if there's somewhere more appropriate!)

I used to have some freeware (made, I think, by a radio amateur) for design and printing dials and scales for projects (e.g. for meter scales, and multiway switches, etc). As well as specifying log/linear; range, and spacing of marks, you could also specify font size. All-in-all, a most useful piece of software.

I no longer have it, nor can find sensible google search terms that give me a moderate amount of answers.

Does it ring a bell with anyone? If I can find it again I promise to put it on my pen drive so I won't misplace it in future

TIA,

dave
Old 10th Mar 2007, 6:35 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Software for DIY dials

Software for meter scales is here:-

http://tonnesoftware.com/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Mar 2007, 8:34 pm   #3
dave_n_t
Hexode

Graham

thanks, but the one I used to have was most definitely freeware. If no-one points me to it I'll have a go at the tonnesoftware.com one but I'd really rather have freeware

dave
Old 10th Mar 2007, 9:35 pm   #4
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I downloaded some time ago a useful Meter scale drawing program, that ran under DOS, from the ARRL site. I produced several scales and very good it was too once you got the hang of it. I had a quick look but couldn't find it today. If you spend some time searching around the site you may still find it.... HTH

Denis
Old 11th Mar 2007, 3:21 pm   #5
Alf
Hexode

Is this the one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...city/meter.jpg
Old 11th Mar 2007, 6:07 pm   #6
dave_n_t
Hexode

Quote:
Is this the one?
Alf,

Yes, that's it!

Moreover I was able to piece together a version of it from various backups this morning.

In so doing, I found out that it is shareware , and I've emailed the author (mail address given in the software) to ask if it's still available, and where he'd like a donation sending. [And until I've waited a reasonable time, I don't think it's fair to make the package available here].

Do you use it, Alf - because the print is rather strange [spurious diameter, rest of circumference missing], and I wonder if I've got hold of (i.e. reconstructed) a buggy setup, or if my printer is incompatible, or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Dave
Old 11th Mar 2007, 6:50 pm   #7
Alf
Hexode

I've used the software periodically, the program was made available some years ago on one of the usenet newsgroups, although mine works ok, I've been unable to save any files made with the program recently, I suspect my copy to be slightly corrupted or I've got some files missing, as files could be saved at first.

From what I can remember, I just took a screenshot of any scale I made and printed that out. I've also emailed the author of the program, but whether the email address is still valid or not is debatable, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 7:40 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_n_t View Post
And until I've waited a reasonable time, I don't think it's fair to make the package available here.
If the package is indeed shareware then it is acceptable to distribute the unregistered shareware version here or wherever as long as it is for free (that is the whole point of shareware). However it is not acceptable to distribute the registered version, unlock code or whatever.

Between the versions you two have, you may be able to put together a complete working one!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Mar 2007, 9:19 pm   #9
dave_n_t
Hexode

Quote:
I've been unable to save any files made with the program recently
I have been able to save + reload later.

Quote:
I just took a screenshot of any scale I made and printed that
What a good idea!
(I'll just have to find my freeware screenshot snapper!)

Quote:
then it is acceptable to distribute the unregistered shareware version here or wherever as long as it is for free
I really is shareware (and indeed it explicitly allows passing on so long as it is 'complete' - but that's my worry: I don't have the original zip file, and I'm not certain that I've retained all the various bits. Hence my desire to wait a while...). I'll continue under PM with Alf to see if I can put things together.

Dave