UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2005, 5:30 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default How to 'age' brass' ?

I am restoring a Burndept Ethophone which has a fancy brass escutchion.
My one was covered in enamel paint and now I have removed the paint, I have a shiny brass escutchion. I want to return it to something like the original finish. which was an antiqued patina. Any ideas what to use?

To see an example of what it should look like, have a look at the photo in the parts wanted section under Burndept Ethophone.

Thanks
Old 4th Dec 2005, 6:21 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: How to 'age' brass' ?

Hi Peter,

I've had some very good results in the past with a product called 'Tourmaline'. It's made by Liberon.

Try here -

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...39VPWS3B5QZCR6

HTH
Colin

Last edited by Colin; 4th Dec 2005 at 6:24 pm.
Old 4th Dec 2005, 10:01 pm   #3
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

Fumes from ammonia will tarnish brass.

Norm
Old 7th Dec 2005, 6:35 pm   #4
Alan_Douglas
Retired Dormant Member

The traditional method is "liver of sulfur" (impure potassium sulfide). Dissolve a pea-sized chunk of the stuff in hot water, which releases hydrogen sulfide, and immerse the brass for a few seconds or longer, depending on the concentration and the desired darkness.

Here in the States, a company called Birchwood Casey in (I think) Minnesota sells "Brass Black" which achieves the same result by plating out a thin layer of arsenic on the surface. The elixir previously mentioned may do the same.
Old 7th Dec 2005, 6:49 pm   #5
PWH
Heptode

Thanks for the info gents. I'll try them out.

The last suggestion sounds very smelly!!
Closed Thread