UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2005, 11:12 am   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default advice on wooden cabinet strip or not ?

Ive got a couple of wooden cased radios that I havent started on yet.

Reading the various forums etc there are two schools of thought; strip and start again or restore sympathetically.

I concur with the second, and would like some advice on how best to go about it. The cabinets are dirty, and some areas of lacquer are scratched off or otherwise missing.

What products and techniques have you had success with ?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:10 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 11:29 am   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: advice on wooden cabinet strip or not ?

Hi Steve,

I recently restored a Bush SW43 "sympathetically" because it didn't seem bad enough to strip.

Firstly I gave the cabinet a good going over with T Cut then cleaned everything with white spirit. When completely dry I simply gave it a couple of coats of Danish oil, applied with a rag

I've attached a couple of before and after photos. The good thing is the the "whiteness" of the scratches is removed but you can't do alot with the depth of the scratches..........OK I'll probably strip it next year

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2090   Click image for larger version

Name:	top1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2091  
Old 25th Nov 2005, 12:12 pm   #3
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

I have had some sucess with wooden cases that have had quite bad scratches. I first try to clean the surface as completely as possible with a foam cleaner. I then try to polish out the worst of the scratches using a paint "colour restorer" (similar to T-Cut) or brasso. I then use this lightly over the whole surface but not logos. I then use "Rustin's Scratch Cover and Polish" There are two versions of this, one for light wood and the other for medium and dark wood. I use several applications of this on the scratched areas then a couple over the whole surface. I repeat the whole surface treatment from time to time. I have also tried filling bad scratches using coloured waxes but I think these are better for small holes etc. All of the above is easily reversable if you dont like the result.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 1:56 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I then use "Rustin's Scratch Cover and Polish"
It's worth mentioning that this product will stain the wood and if in the future you decide to completely strip the cabinet you will be left with a very patchy surface. Unfortunately I know this from experience

Regards
David
Old 25th Nov 2005, 3:00 pm   #5
Ken
Hexode

Hi Dave

Thanks for the infor on the Rustin's stuff. I didnt know it could stain the wood probably because I have never gone back and striped a cabinet on which it was used.

Regards,

Ken.
Closed Thread