UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2017, 8:52 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Old Variac stiffening up

Hi,
I have a very old Variac that uses a thin walled Bakelite tube to carry the moving contact while insulating it from the frame & handle. The tube is a snug fit through the brass top plate and, after a time, becomes tight due to the tube 'swelling' a tiny amount due to Bakelite being slightly absorbent.
Now, if I enlarge the hole in the top plate a bit to allow free motion once again, will the tube continue to expand and become tight once more, or will it finally reach a 'limit'?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 6th Jun 2017, 10:58 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Variac stiffening up

I think it will stabilise, but will defer to anyone who has more gen on this subject.
Closed Thread