UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2017, 12:10 am   #1
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Unhappy Akai x-5000w Reel To Reel No Bass

Okay, here goes, 2 years on and I still can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I have my X-5000W of 2 years and I have been using it. It has had a full mechanical service but the electrics are just too much to deal with, opening the board and untying the wires is basically too much work.

So, the problem is that the left channel has a really low, low end. It's so obvious that its runs off at about 200hz. No recording has anything lower than that, probably 150hz at the lowest. The right channel is perfect.

I have attached a schematic which may help, but this is not only for recording, but when playing a tape recorded perfectly on another deck, I still don't get bass on the left channel. Recording a tape on this deck and playing it on a perfect deck, also has no low end on the left in the recording.

This can either be in the Eq circuit or the Push-Pull record/amp section. Not sure where to check and if anyone can tell me where to check in the right channel, it would be appreciated.

Recording Bias is not a problem as the deck has a cross field head system that has the same voltage applied to the right and left of the bias head. So the bias is the same in left and right and only turned off with the 3-2 and 1-4 switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf images.pdf (650.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 31st May 2017, 3:18 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Akai x-5000w Reel To Reel No Bass

Sounds a bit like faulty capacitor(s). I'd try to isolate it. Is the loss of bass only when using the internal power amps, or is it also at the 5 pin DIN socket/line outs when feeding an external amplifier?

Tim
Old 31st May 2017, 7:50 am   #3
mitajohn
Pentode

From the schematic, if I am not wrong, the same amp is used for rec and pb via the rec/pb switch. Probably some electrolytic caps have dried out. Check the caps in that amp first.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 3:52 pm   #4
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Sorted - C106 in the left channel was down. Replaced the same in the right channel (C206) 6.3V 47uF. Thanks once again guys
Closed Thread