UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2017, 5:26 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Smile Vintage Tape Recorder Spool carriers re-making help pls!

Hi everyone,

I have 5 identical Japanese tape recorders but one of them needs some TLC and am in the process of taking care of its issues. Unfortunately years ago the soool turntables got snapped and am trying to find the perfect material to use to recondition them back to their originality! I believe that the material used those days was Bakelite! I attach a picture of another machine's table just for someone to confirm please. They look quite shiny and when trying to use some other type of plastic, the result was not as great and shiny as the original. Where can I find Bakelite stock to be able to machine to spec on my lathe please? Or what alternative material can I use that would have such a glossy finish? Your help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7122.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	143281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7123.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	143282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7120.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	143283  
Old 26th May 2017, 6:55 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Vintage Tape Recorder Spool carriers re-making help pls!

Could we see the picture please? Might be useful to see the damage as well. Tell us the model numbers as well, you never know someone might have a donor machine. Some machines seem very susceptible to spool carriers cracking, Uher portables for instance.
Good luck!
Peter
Old 26th May 2017, 6:56 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

Wasn't Bakelite moulded and not machined back in the day? I think it would be hard to machine something that has non-circular pieces such as the flutes on it.

Do you want to replace the turntables with a completely remade one? Is there any chance of adding new flutes to the existing turntables to replace the flutes that have broken off? Like take a Dremel and make a groove which you can slip a piece of slightly flexible plastic into. I would probably have tried doing something with piano wire, but of course the appearance would be different.
Old 26th May 2017, 7:19 pm   #4
jascha
Hexode

Smile Re: Vintage Tape Recorder Spool carriers re-making help pls!

Hi, I have posted photos of how the original looks like, one that is snapped and a photo of my recent attempt to repair it as close to the original shape, including having a radius at the top of 1/4" just like the original. The result is good however I want to try doing better and getting them perfect and glossy just like they used to be! The tape recorders are Cipher I intermark. I am not looking at making new turntables and the trident base where the reels lock in but just the shaft that the reels sit on. Ideally I will remachine them on a lathe, reducing the diameter and make the right shaft to sit on the reduced shaft and glue it in place. I just want to find the right type of glossy plastic I can machine as the black plastic rod I bought online looks not as great as the original. Thanks everyone again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7124.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	143291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7126.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	143292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7125.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	143293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7127.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	143294  
Old 26th May 2017, 7:27 pm   #5
jascha
Hexode

Here are some photos of the Tape recorder. It was also known as Niccol Model 5320. Included is a photo of the perfect shafts with a scotch spool on the turntable! Nice and shiny top .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	143296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7129.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	143298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7128.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	143299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	143302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	143303  

Old 2nd Jun 2017, 12:10 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Interesting machine, bears more than a passing similarity to the layout of a Truvox/magnavox 363 deck!

Personally I'd just use it as is, that repair you made looks okay to me. Is it really worth worrying about a little bit of shine? It's not as if you can even see that trident bit when the spool is on it. I'd just keep a look out online for a donor deck so you can swap it over in future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Truvox-R44-reel-to-reel-.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	143746  
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 5:35 am   #7
ricard
Octode

I don't know if you've already done this as a step in making the part, but have you polished it with some polishing agent? That could bring some shine to the material. Plastic generally is pretty shiny unless some surface structure has been imposed upon it, for instance by machining or sandpapering.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 7:24 am   #8
jascha
Hexode

Hi, thanks for all your posts. I recently found on eBay some Bakelite wardrobe knobs that look very shiny being bakelite and will have a go on my lathe machining then and replacing the section of the spool tables from the trident base upwards. It will be an interesting experiment and will of course update you all how it all turned up. I think this option will be the closest to the original especially if I manage to get the right shape at the top of the spindle. I measured it to be a 1/4" radius so I also bought a right sized router bit just to give me the right profile. Crazy but definitely a challenge
Old 10th Jun 2017, 2:07 pm   #9
jascha
Hexode

Smile Re: Vintage Tape Recorder Spool carriers re-making help pls!

Hi everybody,
This morning with patience and determination I reached my goal after years of not being totally satisfied with my previous attempts. I was lucky to find some Bakelite wardrobe knobs that have a glossy finish to them and the right curvature at the top and set off machining on my micro lathe and here are the results . Very pleased with the job. Unfortunately bakelite is brittle and when machined loses its gloss but at least the top of the spindle looks great and all I need to do now is lightly spray the side of the shaft with a glossy spray and it will look even better. Unless of course you guys have some better idea. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7206.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	144262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7207.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	144263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7214.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	144264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	144265  
Old 10th Jun 2017, 10:27 pm   #10
ricard
Octode

As mentioned before, I wonder if the Bakelite can be polished with something like Autosol or even ordinary tooth paste to get a bit of shine.
Old 10th Jun 2017, 11:12 pm   #11
jascha
Hexode

I tried toothpaste but the result was not so impressive. I think a splash of glossy black spray will do the trick. I only need to apply to the side of the shafts and it should look even better.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 10:08 pm   #12
zastin17
Retired Dormant Member

Get a 3D printer. Seriously. I have replaced all sorts of plastic parts from receivers, Reel to reels etc. I use it all the time. You can get kits nowadays for like $200.
Closed Thread