UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2017, 3:45 am   #1
Boardy62
Retired Dormant Member

Default Electrola radiogram worth scrapping?

Hi all new member from Australia, looks a great forum you have here.

I have a heap of old gear and atm I am deciding what to do with this old girl, the wiring is original and shot, looks like 3 valves burnt out and record player I think is missing bits. The cabinet is in need of new veneer (I bit off more than I can chew with this one).

My question is, is it worth parting out tuner Amp and Bakelite knobs etc are they worth anything to anyone?

Thanks in advance

I could only fit two photos and had to shrink them down to 27kb to fit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	145039   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	145040  
Old 25th Jun 2017, 9:24 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Electrola radiogram worth scrapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardy62 View Post
You should be able to attach five pictures to a post. If they are too big the forum software will resize them for you.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 12:11 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrola radiogram worth scrapping

Depends on what's in it, really.....

There's probably a useful transformer or two in the tuner-amp and if there's a working magic eye especially end view octal types like EM34 that's worth a bit. If the amp is push-pull the whole thing (tuner amp that is) might fetch something in an online auction.

Otherwise just keep any bits useful to yourself.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Jun 2017, 10:55 pm   #4
Boardy62
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardy62 View Post
Hi all new member from Australia, looks a great forum you have here.

I have a heap of old gear and atm I am deciding what to do with this old girl, the wiring is original and shot, looks like 3 valves burnt out and record player I think is missing bits. The cabinet is in need of new veneer (I bit off more than I can chew with this one).

My question is, is it worth parting out tuner Amp and Bakelite knobs etc are they worth anything to anyone?

Thanks in advance

I have added extra photos thanks for help so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Depends on what's in it, really.....

There's probably a useful transformer or two in the tuner-amp and if there's a working magic eye especially end view octal types like EM34 that's worth a bit. If the amp is push-pull the whole thing (tuner amp that is) might fetch something in an online auction.

Otherwise just keep any bits useful to yourself.
Thanks Herald, I have attached a picture of the back of amp now and my ignorance of your words means I will have to study up on "magic eye and octal types" to know what ur talking about I really know sweet FA of electronics something I wish was different but I love having a go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	145191   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	145192  
Old 27th Jun 2017, 11:30 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Electrola radiogram worth scrapping?

'Magic Eye' is a term used to describe a special type of valve (Vacuum tube) which acts as a tuning or other indicator. There are two basic types, one mounts horizontally and shows a green display which closes at maximum signal strength. One such is an EM87, which has a B9A base (9 Pins). The other type has its display in the top end of the valve, so it's mounted with that facing the viewer. These work on the same principle as the EM87, but usually have Octal bases, fitting in 8-pin sockets about 1.25" diameter. Valves over the years were/are made with a great variety of bases, the early types were almost all either 4 or 5 pin. Later types include Octal & Mazda Octal, B8A' to as Valve Holders, at least here in the UK. I'm not certain whether British or American terminology is used in Australia, but (Thermionic) Valve = (Vacuum) Tube

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 27th Jun 2017 at 11:37 am. Reason: To add info. about valves/valve bases.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 10:55 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Electrola radiogram worth scrapping?

By the Way, why do you think the valves are burnt out? They very seldom fail completely, although other components can, and do develop faults. Unless replaced, the faulty components can cause damage to things such as the output transformer(s).
Old 28th Jun 2017, 6:18 am   #7
Boardy62
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs down Re: Electrola radiogram worth scrapping?

LIVEWIRE? I am thinking burnt out because three tubes on the right side are blacked at the top, the wiring hss deteriorated badly so big job to rewire it in the hope it works. Decisions decisions! Thanks for your easy to understand explanation on valves!
Closed Thread