UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2017, 9:29 am   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Recording from RP60 to Mini Disc

Hello all

I am not sure which category to put this in as it covers old and newer technology.

The answer should be pretty simple.

I want to try recording some singles from my Bush RP60 onto mini disc. The RP60 has a tape out, so my questions are:

Will I need a special plug for the RP60 end or will a bog standard mono 3.5mm jack do?

What is the best way to go about this - jack to phono into one of the MD inputs and record in mono (thus getting the sound on both channels of the MD?) or create some sort of splitter lead?

I know that the results would not be hi-fi and that many of the tunes I have will be on YouTube or whatever, but that's not the point. I like playing my records and like the way my own copies sound on my player. Sometimes I don't have time to set the player up and I'd also like to get some of them on CD for the car.

Thanks all

Martin
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:06 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Recording from RP60 to Mini Disc

This may not work too well. I don't have a circuit, but the RP60 is a valve player, so the tape out signal will probably come straight from the cartridge. This will need a high impedence line level input, which is present on a valve tape recorder but probably not on a modernish MD recorder. Typical op-amp era line inputs have an impedence of around 100k.

You will get a signal, but there won't be much bass present because of the mismatch.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:09 am   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Interesting.

So, and this is where I am going to show my ignorance, could I add a 100k resistor to the lead to cope with this?

Or am I best waiting until I can afford my much hoped for record deck?
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:15 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
Or am I best waiting until I can afford my much hoped for record deck?
Martin, I could spare a reasonable, belt-drive turntable c/w magnetic cartridge and stylus if you want, I'm sure I have a few in store somewhere.

N.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:17 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

On the RP60 (just checked the Trader sheet, I have the Murphy version of this player) the tape recorder socket comes from the secondary of the output transformer. The only difference between the tape recorder socket and the extension speaker socket is that the latter disconnected the internal speaker when you put the plug in.

The tape recorder socket is therefore a low impedance output giving a pretty strong signal. Far too strong for a microphone input, for example.

I would strongly advise against trying to get a signal from any other place in the RP60. This is a live chassis amplifier (directly connected to the mains). The output transformer provides isolation, so you can safely use the tape recorder socket, but not, say, tap off the signal from the cartridge or the volume control.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:36 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's good advice, Tony. Is it a standard 3.5mm connector, one of the older, British, Cliff-type 1/8" plugs?
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:40 am   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks all for your contributions.

Tony, I would be running the signal to a line input (rather than mic) either on the MD or perhaps I could go into the Phono input of my amplifier.

Would either work, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:58 am   #8
paulsherwin

Assuming Tony is correct, the tape output will match a standard line level input, though it won't be 'clean' - it will be affected by the volume and tone controls, and will contain some distortion from the output pentode. The phono input on your amp will (presumably) be for a magnetic cartridge and won't be suitable.

You will get significantly better results from a proper record deck of the type Nick is offering, even if it is only fitted with a modest cartridge. You would connect this to the amp phono input, and record from the amp tape output.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 12:11 pm   #9
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks for the clarification. The older I get the more I am inclined to ask. Years ago I would have just bodged on and waited to see what happened!

Anyone familiar with the correct plug to use at the record player end as asked by Nick?

Once I know that I will experiment. I am under no illusions as to the level of 'fi' I will get, other than it won't be 'hi'.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 12:52 pm   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

The quality greatly exceeds vinyl, which does in fact degrade every time the disc is played. For a mono record, use Mono record mode as the time is doubled over Stereo
mode. Keep the record peak level at -10VU as S/N is not a problem.

I would avoid LP2 and LP4 modes (if you have them) as these are poorer.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 8:27 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

As regards the plug size, I can't easily get to my player to check. The Trader Sheet just says to use a 'miniature jack plug' which at that time I think meant 3.5mm (2 conductor, mono), a 'subminiature jack plug' being the 2.5mm size.

This player is relatively late for valve model (1971) so I think the odd Cliff plug is unlikely.

If you have a 3.5mm jack plug, try it. If it seems to fit, it's probably the right one to use.

The Trader sheet claims an output of 2.5W and the speaker is 3 Ohms. That to me means a possible RMS voltage of 2.7V across the speaker, but of course that's for maximum power and the actual voltage when playing a record at normal volume is going to be a lot less. Probably OK for a line level input, start with a volume control turned right down and turn it up until you get a signal that's high enough to recorder. After all it wa not uncommon to connect the sort-of line level input on a domestic tape recorder to the extension speaker sockets on a radio to record radio programmes.

Incidentally this player has a 2 stage amplifier (UCL82 valve, with a UY85 rectifier). Not that that should make any difference here.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 9:11 am   #12
Mike-repairman
Heptode

An alternative Martin is finding someone who has a record deck with USB output. There were a load around a few years ago when they were a short-lived craze. Many around cheaply at boot sales if you have any local ones.
The USB output plugs into a computer and you record the track with something like Audacity software (free version) in wav format or mp3 possibly, and then make a CD of the tracks with Windows Media player. You'll probably get a better quality than via the old record player hooked up to the minidisc.

If you need to store them on mini disc you could use the output of the computer (line out) to line in on the minidisc.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 9:30 am   #13
rontech
Heptode

Hello

I have recently been recording some 78rpm , vinyl, and old compact cassettes to my SONY MDS-JE520 minidisc recorder. I have not had 78 rpm facilities for many years but have just bought an Audio-Technica three speed record deck. It comes with a decent cartridge for vinyl. You would need a spare headshell and 78 cartridge for 78s of course. It has cartridge direct, cartridge line-out and USB output. I have found it a decent system.

If your valve based record player has a tape out socket I would expect it to give a line-out signal as valve amplifiers with tape in facilities usually needed that signal level. If the record player has the old turnover cartridge for 78s it would need a high impedance input and I would not expect your player output to come straight from the cartridge.

Maplin Electronics usually have a range of phono splitters etc so it is a case for some experimentation.

I hope all this is of some assistance to you.

Regards, rontech.
Closed Thread