UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2018, 7:30 am   #41
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Availability of Leaded Solder?

Savbit was designed to prolong the life of unplated copper bits which are rare these days. I don't think it has any relevance for modern plated tips and in my experience the low tin content makes it poor for general work.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:34 pm   #42
The Philpott
Dekatron

As has been said, Rapid (with whom I have no affiliation) have significant stocks of rosin cored 60/40, if one wished to save a few quid compared to 500g reels they have 18SWG in 2 kilo 'doorstop' reels. Next day delivery.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:38 am   #43
philthespark
Pentode

I think they need to get a grip on a lot of this legislation and restriction of stuff, as regards personal health issues, yes there are some substances where even a small dose can be harmful, but with a lot of stuff the average domestic user would never come near the exposure limit in a lifetime, whereas someone working in industry may, potentially reach those levels in a matter of weeks.
I don't know if any of you remember the thing with mineral oil some years ago, they found that a lot of men, usually mechanics or fitters, were developing testicular cancer and jumped all over the fact that the one thing they all had in common was they used mineral oils in the course of their work. It was some time before someone spotted the other link, and it was actually this one that was the cause of the problem. Back then, almost every mechanic and fitter, carried an oily rag in the pants pocket of their overalls, it was, to them, no different to the electrician who always had a neon screwdriver in his top pocket.Unfortunately this oily rag, whilst it may have been as important to them as the screwdriver was to the electrician, also meant that there was a transfer of oil, from the rag to the clothing, and thence to the skin in the area of the scrotum, in effect the constant carrying of this oily rag meant they were basically bathing their scrotums in mineral oil Which if you look at it from a logical point of view is something like this, if you choose not to effectively bathe your dangly bits in mineral oil, then how safe is it? After all, look at rat poison, it's perfectly safe handling the stuff, it's when you start eating it that it all goes wrong!
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:43 am   #44
emeritus
Dekatron

CPC have plenty in various gauges. I added a spool of 0.5mm ersin cored 60/40 to my order 2 weeks ago as I didn't have any that small. The "Multicore" logo no longer appears on the label.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 10:42 am   #45
emeritus
Dekatron

In the CPC booklet I got last week, 60/40 Tin/Lead solder is on 20% saving offer, 22SWG (0.7mm) @ £3.75 /100g and £16.95/500g; 18SWG (1.2mm) @ £15.95/500g.

For some reason, since my last order, CPC have been sending me trade catalogues, so prices do not include VAT. Their lead-free solders (99.3/0.7 Tin/Copper) are slightly cheaper (30% saving).
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:05 am   #46
johntech
Triode

Dangerous Substances !
I am a retired TV Engineer formally an Electrician.
When we where at school we played with Mercury. I also used to melt lead and cast things. Our water came through lead pipes we used aluminium pans and drove around in a Morris 1000 powered by leaded petrol ! We used lead solder for 50 years taking no precautions regarding ventilation. Now I suspect a good percentage of folk on this forum are in their 70's
and are wondering when this health and safety free life is going to kill them ! Only time will tell but I suspect alcohol and smoking may be to blame if we don't make 100 !
And it gets worse today the electric company fitted my house with smart meters.
Did you know gas pipes and electrical items have to be 150mm apart ie I have a gas pipe runs 2 inches above my meters plastic case as it has done for 50years and it does not comply says young engineer who must have been on the 2week course.
Oh and the junction box that splits the output from the meter it is possible for someone to stick a screwdriver up the side of the cable and get a shock!
I will have to replace that. So to all this I replied what about my gas boiler electricity and gas mixed together in one box ! And regarding the junction box it is considerably safer than a BC lamp holder !
Is it just me or is Health and Safety (good if mixed with common sense and experience) a very good money maker for everyone concerned.
What do the team think ?
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:08 am   #47
Sinewave
Octode

Don't you just love an attempt of retrospective application of regulations.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 8:00 am   #48
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Hi I retired 18 months ago from BT in the last week I had to return a lot of kit to the exchange where I worked out of . Clearing space in an old locker I found 3 x 500g 60/40 solder that had not seen the light of day for many a year . I now have enough to last my life time

Dave
Old 20th Jun 2018, 10:57 am   #49
AC/HL
Dekatron

Another of the Forum regulars.
Much of what exists in older buildings would not be allowed today, either by legislation or professional installation standards. However, it doesn't mean that everything has to be ripped out and redone. As far as I know very little, if anything, is retrospective in real life.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:16 pm   #50
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

As my pal said when the electricity company wanted money off him to upgrade the earth lead after changing his meter,"it worked yesterday it will work today!"

I do agree there are of course a lot of changes in the main for the better and new regs come out every week (nearly).
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:31 pm   #51
MrBungle
Dekatron

Having suddenly been earth for half of my street that isn’t necessarily the case. It depends on the installation. They don’t give that advice unless there’s a reason.

Legislation comes mostly from analysis of failures. Failures where people get hurt. It’s the ultimate negative feedback loop.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:45 pm   #52
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
And it gets worse today the electric company fitted my house with smart meters.
<snip>
What do the team think ?
One of the many reasons they will not get in my house to fit a "smart" meter.