UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2016, 11:32 am   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 1991 Marantz CD52 CD player CDM4 tray gear repair

Well done Paul. Yes, these wheels seem to be made of an off-white plastic which was meant to be slightly flexible to reduce noise. But after 25 years, they have the strength of all the strength of a digestive biscuit and crumble when asked to perform. The same problem occurs in some quartz clocks, Technics cassette decks and so on.

I put a smear of grease on the teeth of my replacement and on the "rack" which it engages with, which made it run a lot more quietly and smoothly.

N.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:49 am   #22
paulsherwin

The problem with greasing the rack is that it emerges from the player body when the tray is open, which is a bit messy.

I think the failure mode is definitely plastic degradation rather than wear as such.
Old 6th May 2016, 12:13 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The problem with greasing the rack is that it emerges from the player body when the tray is open, which is a bit messy.
That's true, but you don't need much, just the lightest smear.

N.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 4:44 pm   #24
benaround3
Triode

Default Marantz CD52, another gear wheel repair

Nothing to say except that I did it in less than an hour and the instructions were perfect. Had the replacement wheel shipped from abroad which took a few weeks.
A torx size T10 will be required and the screw under the headphone socket is very stiff and looked as though it was partially stripped on assembly. It's a machine screw unlike the others. It's crucial though as you can't remove the front cover without it. Like the berk that I am I first thought that only the front cover of the CD tray had to be removed and wasted a few minutes puzzling out why the drawer wouldn't come out!
Old 6th Mar 2018, 5:43 pm   #25
vidjoman
Dekatron

I did one a few weeks ago for a friend. New gear and belt from China cost £4:50 incl post etc.
The originals, of which there are 2 different gear types, one that fits on the side of the mech and the other that fits underneath at the back. They are not interchangeable.
The originals were described by Philips as soft plastic to lessen the gear noise. Like most plastics that contain flexibliser they fail after a time. Think also of the Philips drive belts that turn to goo.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 2:56 am   #26
benaround3
Triode

That's a good price, the best I could find was £12 + £4 delivery on Amazon.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 9:41 am   #27
vidjoman
Dekatron

Perhaps I should add that the 2 gear types do not both apply to this Marantz player discussed here - only the one on the side. The other fits different Philips mechs.
I googled and ordered via Ali Express.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 11:02 am   #28
paulsherwin

I bought from an eBay seller. I can't remember the price or where it came from now, but it wasn't expensive - maybe £8 including postage.
Closed Thread