UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2018, 3:17 am   #1
rajembt
Retired Dormant Member

Default Creek 4140 S2 repair

I am currently trying to repair a recently acquired Creek 4140 S2 which has had some strange modifications done on the phono stage.

It sounds thin, as if there is no RIAA equalisation taking place. The line inputs are fine, so the power amp stage must be OK.

On the schematic, there is a missing value for an electrolytic capacitor (marked in a circle on the pdf). Does anyone know what that should be?

On my circuit board the capacitors are missing (one for each channel) - I have arrowed on the picture where they should be - adjacent to the 25V 47uF capacitors.

Perhaps if someone could look at their board and tell me the value it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180227_162146ss.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	158446  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4140 S2 Circuit Diagram Marked.pdf (215.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 1st Mar 2018, 6:00 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Creek 4140 S2 repair

I assume that MM stands for Moving Magnet, if that capacitor is missing then there will be no throughput from the MM circuit RIAA stage to the Line preamp stage, I am surprised the disc function is working at all.
10uF 50v is what is used on the other stages as the DC blocking cap.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 1st Mar 2018 at 6:08 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 6:45 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

There may be some connections added so the mod bypasses the RIAA equalisation stage so the record playing input can be used with an external MC/MM equaliser box.

David
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 1:09 am   #4
rajembt
Retired Dormant Member

That seems to be the case David, as I noted some long wires on the underneath of the board connecting the RCA phono inputs to the phono selector button. I am guessing this more or less converted it into another line input.

Someone did suggest using a value of under 1uF to roll of some of the low frequency since the signal is coming from the phone preamp. He said a 0.15uF would give a roll off at about 10Hz.
Closed Thread