UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2017, 7:02 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Taylor 127A meter

Hello all

I picked up the meter mentioned in the title yesterday from an antiques shop. It was cheap enough to buy and save it from being 'steampunked'.

Any idea what batteries it takes? There's a small brass Z shaped piece inside seemingly designed to allow AA batteries to fit, but I'm not sure that's right.

Martin
Old 26th Feb 2017, 8:12 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Taylor 127a meter

Info found on the web.
BLR121 15v
R6S 1.5v

I seem to remember the R6S is a AA size. The 127a was my standard meter for field service for many years, the AVO 8 for the bench.

Frank
Old 26th Feb 2017, 8:27 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Frank.

I'm a bit confused by the size of the battery compartment and the Z shaped piece of metal. It's loose but I was guessing it was made to take up the space between the end of the battery and the battery connection.

I did find a manual online but I guessed something had changed along the the way.

The meter seems not to work and so I may post a request for someone to take a look at some point. I don't need it as such, I just wanted to save it from whatever trendy fate awaited it otherwise. Now that I own it I feel some responsibility to give it life, but it's too complex for me as I am still wrestling with gave strips and valve holders
Old 26th Feb 2017, 8:59 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

From memory they are very simple inside, the main thing being the movement and the switch, if they are ok it should be repairable.
There are still people who can fix movements but it's not a job I can do.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 9:13 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Frank.

I think it's one for the experts definitely. I know enough by now to know that if I attempt even to 'have a look' beyond taking the back off (which I have done) it will acquire more than one fault.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 9:10 am   #6
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Taylor 127A meter

It takes two batteries, 1x 15volt and a 1.5 volt.
The 127a needs its entire rear case removing with two screws to gain access.
The 127a Mk III has a neat battery cover that gives access to just the batteries.
The contacts are usually affected with brittle disease so I tend to solder the wires directly to the battery, given they last 2-3 years of constant use.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 10:24 am   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Freya.

This one has a cover that screws off - two small neat screws in the back.

I'm not sure what I will do with the meter - I have two working ones already but not the skills to fettle this one. It's a nice item though. There was another in the antiques cabinet and I chose the one that seemed in the best condition.

Showing my lack of knowledge here, but do I need batteries in both to get readings? Setting aside the problem you mention above.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 10:29 am   #8
Freya
Octode

The batteries only serve the ohms tests.

I collect Taylors test equipment and have amassed rather a more than a few testers.
Old 27th Feb 2017, 10:32 am   #9
Martin Bush
Octode

That's what I thought. I did briefly try it out on a battery and got no movement. I will seek help in getting it going I think - you feel some responsibility for these things when you buy them don't you
Closed Thread