UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2004, 12:59 am   #21
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Are the Droitwitch transmitter masts in operat

On a recent train journey for a training course followed a week or so later by a car trip up the M5, the masts were very much in evidence. Coming back in the car at night I missed them altogether. Are they still lit up at night like they used to.
Old 20th Feb 2004, 1:37 am   #22
joe
Rest in Peace

Hi Simon

I hope that they are still lit up, if only for the sake of pilots in the area.

Joe
Old 21st Feb 2004, 2:51 am   #23
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi Joe
You have got a point there. I was driving back home on a busy Sunday evening so I can blame all the headlights and not the speed I was doing for missing the mast lights.
A funny storey comes to mind. About 20 or so years ago my Dad had just got his elderly Rover 2000 back on the road,after an engine rebuild.He was driving up the M5 when he heard this horrible howling noise which was getting louder, he pulled over on to the hard shoulder fearing the worst. It was not until he switched of the engine that he realised the howling screeching noise was coming from the car radio which was completely overloaded by the nearby the Droitwich masts.
Old 22nd Feb 2004, 8:52 pm   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The last time I went past a few months ago, some of the lights were working but there were clearly quite a few blown bulbs....

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 12:43 am   #25
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Thanks Paul for that, so it was n't the fact I was doing a Michael Sheumacher dash down the M5 then
On a more serious point I have noticed a few months back when I was driving past the Mendip TV transmitter that most of the protective paint has gone from the lower part of the mast. Does this together with defective mast lights on the Droitwich mast point to lower levels of maintenance from Crown castle who took over the transmitter network from the BBC?
Closed Thread