UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2010, 5:34 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Can we have a new list of 'recommended' suppliers?

The legal term is "Man of Straw" and it's generally said that it's not worth suing a Man of Straw. McDonalds didn't think so though, hence the McLibel case:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonal...rris_%26_Steel

The moderators have been threatened with legal action by eBay sellers, which accounts for the strictly enforced forum rules concerning eBay. So we have to be careful about what comments are allowed concerning component sellers.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 7:09 pm   #22
BakeliteBear
Pentode

I see the ‘legal issues’ bit has raised its head again!

Would anyone like to PM me details of some small business/individual, who can supply me a handful of 'vintage style' capacitors and resistors and a length of braided 3-core mains, and is someone I can actually talk to (ie. not an email only/no telephone number company) and might be able to offer some help/guidance about component selection.

….I have a feeling that this suppliers list might be a long time coming!

PS. I promise not to bring my ‘crack team’ of lawyers in if it all goes pear shaped!!

Thanks
Old 27th Jun 2010, 8:10 pm   #23
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

A complex thread to get to a simple request.

That's always the way I've done it just ask for a good place to get something and the forum always responds,it happens time & time again without the need usually, for any moderation.

Vintage cap's this happens all the time too and does not raise concerns I get mine from Just Radios they do the old values .05, .002, .003 etc, cap kits and resistor kits too.

Chris
Old 27th Jun 2010, 9:11 pm   #24
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks Chris, that's 'Just Radios' in Canada??

Is there know one a bit closer??
Old 27th Jun 2010, 9:58 pm   #25
JoshWard
Octode

A list of suppliers without any comment as regards to their prices in members' opinions and postage rates is probably the way to go. At the end of the day if we have a web address or phone number we can then go and find out how much it will cost from each supplier and then make our own minds up ourselves.

This is how various classic vehicle owners' clubs do it, indeed the vehicle clubs I'm a member of all list suppliers and contact details and what they supply.

This is all what is needed, we can then make our own minds up as to if we commit to a purchase from there.

Maybe an updated list on Paul Stenning's 'main' website would be best as this means we can't comment on it?

Josh.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 10:04 pm   #26
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Canada, they deliver within 3-4 days it's just down the road these days

Ive seen mentioned in other threads RS, Farnell, Cricklewood, Maplins without issue before just as places to obtain, it's up to you to then research, you can even post a request in the wanted section. I did yesterday for some .22 class X.

It's not hard to get components get the schematic for your restoration, work out what you will be changing and bobs your uncle etc. To maintain authentic look you can follow johns excellent stuffing cap thread so modern components can be hidden.

Chris
Old 28th Jun 2010, 7:09 am   #27
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Forgot to mention another one I use and you can get the cloth covered cable "Savoy Hill Publications", again another mentioned quite frequently on here.

Chris
Old 28th Jun 2010, 8:52 am   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

I don't see a problem with just a list of suppliers as others have said. No comments regarding service are required...it's up to the individual to decide whether service is good or not.

There is often a comment about 'minimum order charges'.....that's how most companies work, and they are in business to make money. If you don't like those charges, don't use that company but it's no reason to mark them down. You usually find that if a list of (say) 12 suppliers is given, it's not long before people get wise to the favourites be they in this country or another. I've used several American companies in the past and found the service to be excellent with delivery within a working week. Some make a charge for using credit cards, others don't. Make your choice!!

Personally, if a particular company has parts that I want and makes a charge for something or other, I'd rather pay it than not have the parts...within reason of course....that's life.

Most of my polyester capacitors come from Cricklewood Electronics. Fast quick efficient service, all ordered on-line and delivered within two days.

SB
Old 28th Jun 2010, 9:02 am   #29
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

A list of suppliers and the general type of components I think would be enough and very useful. The main problem is that it is difficult to keep it current so a prominent date when the list was published is very helpful.

With regard to the "Man of Straw" the experience of Simon Singh is worth thinking about. The site policy of avoiding comments about service or anything similar, is a wise one.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 10:26 pm   #30
Station X

You can post your recommendations for Component Suppliers and Set Repairers in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=55701

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread