UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2018, 4:32 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual problem? Mains switch...

On old gear it's quite normal for the lubricant in on/off switches to dry out to the point where it totally gums-up the switch action: this applies both to the rotary built-into-volume-control kind of switches and on/off toggle-switches.

A good blast with switch-cleaner (in the past servicemen would have used Carbon Tetrachloride but that's been banned for decades) and a few cycles of turning-on-and-off, followed by a squib of Electrolube will usually fix the problem.
Old 9th May 2018, 8:08 pm   #22
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HFCFrank View Post
Why fit a double pole switch at all? It has been standard practice for some years now to only switch the live side of the mains.
It's rather curious mains/battery wiring - the filaments are in series and take their supply via a 1680 ohm resistance from the HT reservoir cap. One pole of the mains switch disconnects the mains neutral which is wired direct to chassis; the other pole disconnects the battery LT positive from the filament chain.

I was lucky - I managed to prise the switch away from the back of the pot and, with the aid of a drop of Servisol got it going again.
Old 10th May 2018, 4:57 pm   #23
Voxophone
Hexode

I've had this problem a few times recently. Someone on here suggested flooding the switch chamber with contact cleaner then heating up the external solder terminals with a soldering iron. This causes the cleaner to bubble over the contacts as it evaporates.

I found this method works well and may save the job of dismantling the switch completely.

Liam
Closed Thread